Mayhem at Middleton's new 'party central'

STREETSCAPE: Hands Rd in Middleton is semi-industrial.
STREETSCAPE: Hands Rd in Middleton is semi-industrial.

Tenants who have repeatedly caused mayhem at a house in Middleton are likely to be kicked out.

Graffiti, abandoned bongs, broken windscreens and smashed letterboxes mark the scene of four out of control parties in Middleton in the last three weeks.

Police were called to 41 Hands Rd on both Friday and Saturday night this weekend.

EYESORE: Neighbours are tired of cleaning up graffiti along Hands Rd
EYESORE: Neighbours are tired of cleaning up graffiti along Hands Rd

On Friday, fights had broken out between party-goers but despite police intervening the party was back in full swing last night. Police returned to the address after 10pm.

A police spokesman said they were called to the address a couple of times last night.

Shortly after 11pm, about eight officers attended to break up a party. No-one was arrested.

This weekend's partying was only the latest in a series which police said started when new tenants moved in to the property in January.

Last weekend police in riot gear were required to disperse more than 200 people gathered at the address when the party spilled onto the street.

A group of youths was arrested for throwing bottles at attending officers.


Des Gee, who co-owns the property in Hands Rd with his wife, said the place had been "wrecked" with doors and walls smashed.

He said two men and one woman, all in their early twenties, had been living there about a month.

Last weekend, the group had a party which caused a lot of damage, but Gee decided to give the tenants a chance to redeem themselves as one had offered to fix the damage.

Speaking to The Press this morning, Gee said this weekend's antics had shown them the tenants were unlikely to stick to their word and the behaviour was likely to "carry on".

"I will be heading over there and giving them a bit of a serve," he said. "They have just wrecked it."

The tenants had signed a six month lease. But, the landlords were planning on giving them notice.

Gee said they had insurance, but it was unclear at this stage what it would cover.

Gee's wife, Laura, said the group had used social media to spread the word about the parties.


One resident, who did not want to name for fear of retaliation, said ''wave after wave'' of teenagers had attended the party.

Residents spent last Sunday morning picking up glass and drug paraphernalia and painting over graffiti.

''They're teeming in in their droves,'' the resident said.

''The street's been tagged from one end to the other. They're a bunch of uncontrolled little s***s.''

He had seen well-dressed teenagers being dropped off to the house at all times of the night in expensive late-model cars.

While he said police had been responding quickly to the problem he wanted to see more arrests made and a more active presence in the area.

A Hands Rd business owner had three car windscreens broken but was doubtful he would be reimbursed for the damage.

Police were often being called back more than once each night as party-goers fled and hid, then returned to the house when police left.

While the damage to the street was extensive, Sergeant Ben Fitzpatrick said finding the people responsible was almost impossible when large parties were shut down.

However he said police were maintaining a presence in the area and tolerance was low after so many call outs.

While police could not prevent parties from happening, Fitzpatrick said new legislation meant instant fines could be used as a deterrent to underage drinkers and troublemakers.  

The house where the parties were held had suffered major damage. Broken windows, smashed up cars and piles of bottles covered the yard.

Fitzpatrick said the landlord could be contacted about the damage and the tenant moved on.

Residents feared the house was ''becoming party central''.

Police would be patrolling the area where possible in coming nights.

The Press