Compensation talks for Milner victim's family
Police are discussing the possibility of compensation for the family of Christchurch murder victim Philip Nisbet.
Canterbury police have already admitted they failed in their original investigation into the Christchurch truck driver's death at his Halswell home in May 2009.
Officers initially ruled the 47-year-old had killed himself, but the case was reopened in 2011 after new findings from the coroner and an investigation by Nisbet's sister, Lee-Anne Cartier.
Nisbet's wife, Helen Milner, was found guilty of his murder by the Christchurch High Court in December – 4½ years after his death.
Cartier said today that she had received an apology from police, but still wanted a public apology from the officers who messed up the initial investigation.
''There has been an apology from their bosses, but not from them. It's like mum and dad covering for their kids ... it means nothing. It's not sincere.''
Last month, Cartier told Fairfax Media that she planned to sue police for the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars she had spent trying to find out the truth about her brother's death.
She said today that the issue of costs was ''in the hands of my lawyer'' and she was unable to discuss the matter further at this stage.
''At the moment this is going to stay between me and police,'' she said.
Detective Inspector Tom Fitzgerald confirmed discussions had taken place with Nisbet's family over compensation for costs incurred.
However, nothing had been resolved yet, he said.
Helen Milner, 50, will be sentenced for Nisbet's murder and attempted murder in the Christchurch High Court on February 20.
- © Fairfax NZ News