Lundy retrial delayed
The scheduled retrial for Mark Lundy, accused of murdering his wife and daughter, has been delayed about eight months.
Lundy, 55, was due to have a trial in Wellington starting on June 9 and perhaps lasting eight weeks.
But a hearing in the High Court today was told that legal issues and scientific testing needed to be complete before the retrial could take place.
That was not able to be finished in time for the June start date. Instead time in June might be used to hear challenges to the proposed scientific evidence.
Both sides were still arranging testing, Justice Ron Young said.
It is now planned that Lundy's trial will begin next February.
Lundy is charged with murdering his wife Christine, 37, and daughter Amber, 7, at their Palmerston North home on August 29, 2000.
He was found guilty the next year but continued to protest his innocence.
The Privy Council in London quashed his convictions in October last year and said he should be retried.
Lundy was freed on bail soon after and is living at an address which is suppressed.
Lundy was in court today and left without commenting.