Serious assaults concern police

Last updated 05:00 10/03/2014
Police examine the scene of a serious assault in Linwood on Friday night.
UNDER INVESTIGATION: Police examine the scene of a serious assault in Linwood on Friday night.

Relevant offers


Women accused of $15,000 make-up thefts Man flees with child in car Speeding driver admits car was 'too fast' Police seek Ngaruawahia man Woman charged over alleged stabbing Jail for sexual abuse of family members Possible Napier drug lab being searched Masked offender evades police after crash Drug dealer puts jail time to good use Dunedin man admits manslaughter

Police are lamenting another violent weekend in Christchurch after two men suffered serious head injuries in separate assaults.

On Saturday night, a 34-year-old man sustained blows to the head with a spade at a Matipo St, Riccarton property.

On Friday night, a 53-year-old man was assaulted at a Pateke Pl, Bromley, address - reportedly in front of his young son - before being delivered to hospital by his alleged attacker.

A weapon may have been used.

Armed police guarded the Bromley scene during a forensic examination, which would continue today.

Detective Senior Sergeant Darryl Sweeney said the Bromley victim required surgery for his head injuries, which he described as "very bad".

Police were called to Pateke Pl about 8-9pm. The victim had already been taken away by the alleged attacker.

An arrest was made shortly after the 53-year-old was taken to the hospital's emergency department, Sweeney said.

"He wasn't dumped. He delivered him to the hospital, he was taken into the A&E."

The suspect, in his 40s, appeared in the Christchurch District Court on Saturday charged with wounding to cause grievous bodily harm. He was remanded in custody to appear again at a later date.

Sweeney said both men knew each other. While there was not thought to be any ongoing risk to the public, police assessed that armed scene guards were "prudent".

"We've largely completed inquiries into this matter . . . we can't discount a weapon [being involved]," he said.

A vehicle was also seized.

Emergency services were called to the Riccarton incident about 9.45pm on Saturday.

Detective Sergeant Valyn Barrett said he did not know if alcohol was involved in the incident, but confirmed the victim had been hit with a spade.

A forensic examination at that address was completed yesterday.

The victim's condition deteriorated after he arrived at hospital, but Barrett said he "improved markedly" yesterday. He did not require surgery.

Sweeney said police were looking for a group of young men over the "domestic-related" incident.

Both men from this weekend's incidents were in serious, but stable, conditions in Christchurch Hospital.

Sweeney said it was concerning to have another weekend of violence in the city.

Ad Feedback

- The Press


Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content