Ryder assault accused court date delayed

Last updated 15:45 28/03/2014

Relevant offers

Crime

Fibre causes sentencing hiccup I firmly believe it will make its way back, says gallery owner whose pounamu was stolen Men fined $20,000 for black market fishing sting Man found guilty of groping boys in Palmerston North and Wellington mosques Jail term quashed for assaulting two Blenheim women, home detention imposed Man who planned public protest against Losi Filipo's rugby contract reveals online threats Murderer not recalled to prison despite multiple breaches, assaults on police High Court judge says tickets on unregistered cars are valid ‘Compassionate’ Mongrel Mob kidnapper goes to jail New paywave scams on crimefighters' radar

A court session to settle jury trial arrangements for the man accused of bashing cricket international Jesse Ryder has been put off to April 24.

The 38-year-old builder had been remanded to a pre-trial session in the Christchurch District Court today, but the case was remanded beforehand by a registrar.

The man, who is charged with injuring Ryder with reckless disregard for his safety, is pleading not guilty and has elected to trial by jury. A trial date may be set at his next court appearance.

Judge Brian Callaghan has declined a defence application to have a stay of proceedings on the prosecution so the case was referred back to court for the trial arrangements to be made.

The charge arises from an incident outside a Merivale bar in April 2013. The man has name suppression and remains on bail.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content