Teina Pora agrees to media ban

IAN STEWARD
Last updated 15:34 02/04/2014
Teina Pora
PETER MEECHAM
FREED: The Parole Board granted Pora parole as he "no longer poses an undue risk to the safety of the community".

Relevant offers

Crime

Kiwi on drugs charge in Thailand Weapons found after supermarket stoush House robbed during wife's funeral Racist Facebook attack on teen Motelier complains of 'sadistic' policeman Restorative justice helps victim's family to recover Work and Income in Blenheim ram-raided and set on fire Christmas presents stolen from under the tree Firefighters pelted with bottles Man charged with extorting sex pics from children

Paroled murderer Teina Pora has been banned from speaking to the media, possibly for life.

Pora was jailed for the 1992 rape and murder of Susan Burdett in her South Auckland home though he has recently been granted leave to appeal his conviction to the Privy Council in London.

The Parole Board granted Pora parole this week as he "no longer poses an undue risk to the safety of the community".

The full details of his parole were released today and they include a ban on speaking to media "for the duration of parole".

As a murderer, Pora is on life parole, meaning he may never be able to speak to media without risking return to prison.

"We have been particularly concerned about external issues and pressures that would fall upon Mr Pora by reason of media exposure and interest," the Parole Board said.

"There are frequent references in the material before us that note that Mr Pora is not able to withstand media and publicity which would inhibit his successful reintegration ... For those reasons we are imposing a further special condition preventing Mr Pora from communicating in any form with media sources."

The board said Pora and his lawyer consented and Pora had said he did not want to talk to media.

His other conditions included undertaking counselling and drug and alcohol treatment, attending a family hui, not staying overnight anywhere without probation officer approval, not contacting any of his victims and not possessing alcohol or illicit drugs, including synthetic cannabis."

He will be released on an undisclosed date.

Pora was refused parole last year after it emerged he had gone to a visit a prostitute in the company of another criminal while on "home leave" - short release stays at home in preparation for parole.

The board said Pora had not been sanctioned for having sex but for his breach of known conditions, and his evasion in his explanations to the board.

"The lack of frankness and honesty in his responses were disquieting," it said.

The board said Pora had a "disturbing criminal history" before entering prison.

He had accumulating more than 70 convictions by age 18.

Pora was convicted in 1994 for the rape and murder of Burdett, 39, who was found bludgeoned to death in her Papatoetoe home.

He was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1994 and convicted after the second of two jury trials, which was upheld by the Court of Appeal.

Ad Feedback

However, Pora's lawyers argue there was no direct evidence that linked him to the scene, and that he was convicted largely because of a false confession.

Questions have been raised over the convictions and groups, including the Police Association, have called for an independent inquiry into the case.

Most Pora advocates instead point the finger at convicted rapist Malcolm Rewa, who in 1998 was convicted of raping Burdett after he was linked to semen from the scene. Two juries could not reach a decision about whether he murdered her. Rewa is serving preventive detention for solo attacks on 25 women.

On January 31, Pora was granted leave to appeal to the Privy Council, to be heard this year.

- Fairfax Media

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content