Man sought over Wellington blaze

Last updated 15:46 09/04/2014
CAMERON BURNELL/Fairfax NZ

Police release details on the arson investigation at the Kiwi Storage facility

Kilbirnie fire suspect
MAN SOUGHT: Police have released CCTV images of this man, seen entering a Kilbirnie self storage unit shortly before it went up in flames.

Relevant offers

Crime

Police search for man who may be armed with knife We could be doing more to help child witnesses: lawyer Grieving family members gather after man shot dead in south Auckland, police seek gunman Man treated for potential contamination at suspected clan lab in Christchurch DNA testing laws could be set for an overhaul Two suspects sought in Christchurch burglary Tobacco black market grows as tax increases hit home Editorial: Police top brass besieged by high turnover, payroll blowout and community station closures Don't bank on it: Our main streets threatened by loss of police, banks and supermarkets Mother distraught after 5-year-old son's presents go up in flames

Police are looking for a man seen carrying a 25-litre carry tank into a self-storage facility shortly before a fire ripped through it.

The fire at the Kiwi Self-Storage facility in Kilbirnie, Wellington affected an estimated 200 units. Some were completely destroyed and many of the contents of the less-affected ground floor units had smoke or water damage.

CCTV images captured shortly before the fire were released by police t day, which show a man wearing a white t-shirt over a black hooded sweatshirt, dark pants, and a white Vodka Cruiser cap and carrying a red, 25-litre carry tank.

Police have confirmed there was an explosion in the unit in which the fire started, but forensic testing was still underway to establish whether the fire caused the explosion or the explosion caused the fire, and if an accelerant was used in the arson.

''We now believe that his was a malicious, deliberate and pre-planned arson. The occupier of the unit where the blaze started is assisting Police with our inquiries but we need the public's assistance to help identify the person shown,'' said detective senior sergeant Grant Ferguson.

Ferguson said yesterday that police had been unable to establish where the owner  of the unit in which the fire started lived.

"We are trying to find him, but it is proving quite difficult at the moment.

"At this stage, there is no suggestion he is responsible for whatever actually happened. We want to speak to him and find out what was contained in the unit."

Police would still like to speak to anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area around 12.45am on Friday, April 4.

Police are encouraging people wishing to register their loss and be kept up to date on progress to email kiwistoragefire@police.govt.nz.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content