Chemical fumes close Auckland school

STEVE HOPKINS
Last updated 12:43 11/02/2013

Relevant offers

Education

Injuries on school grounds cost millions each year School turn around amazing, claims ERO Nelson woman Helen Alderson wins PhD scholarship Topec outdoor centre investigation over boy lost in bush Playcentres under threat of closure because of dropping roll numbers Hagley Community College principal Brent Ingram retires Parental notification not a black-and-white issue Host Club through to Rockquest regional final Passion for science rewarded with grant Bus company blames 'shocking' ride on 'stupid bloody kids'

An Auckland primary school has been evacuated and a man has been decontaminated after two pool chemicals reacted badly when mixed together today.

Fire Service spokeswoman Tania Matthews said they were called to Hillpark Primary School, in Manurewa, at 10.17am by St John ambulance staff who treated a man who was "overcome" when he breathed in the fumes.

Matthews said the man was decontaminated at the school in Grande Vue Rd.   

She said the school had been evacuated and fans were being used to clear the fumes.

It was not known when the children would be allowed to return to the school, but Matthews said shortly after midday that firefighters would remain at the scene for some time. 

Ad Feedback

- Auckland Now

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content