Grieving Southland husband's plea heard

BROOKE GARDINER
Last updated 05:00 18/05/2013
Megan Menlove
BEAUTIFUL PERSON: Megan Menlove with her three girls, Sophia, 4, Emma, 2, and baby Alice.

Relevant offers

Health

Tumour removed from boy in life-saving surgery Countdown Springlands in Blenheim has alcohol licence suspended New dad and ambassador makes a plea Christchurch's Dr Rakesh Chawdhry investigated for alleged sexual misconduct Nelson Marlborough DHB prepares to sell land at Wairau Hospital in Blenheim Franklin mother of four and breast cancer survivor hosts Pink Ribbon breakfast Deaf community to lead Titirangi Baptist Church service Campaigners urge Nelson City Council not to add fluoride to region's water Doctor on stupefaction and sex charges abandons fight to keep his name secret Pharmac has been given a $50m total funding boost between Government and DHB funding

A Southland father of three, who lost his wife to bowel cancer following a shock diagnosis the day after the birth of their third daughter, has been overwhelmed by the level of support from wellwishers throughout New Zealand.

Yesterday, just five weeks after losing his wife Megan, 31, Hamish Menlove issued a plea to anyone with health concerns to act on them. Megan's battle with cancer went undetected until the day after the birth of Alice on March 1 - despite several visits to her Brisbane doctor who put her symptoms down to pregnancy.

The difficult decision to publicise his family's devastating story had already had positive spinoffs with many people openly discussing health issues on social media platforms yesterday.

Several friends had also contacted Mr Menlove to inform him they'd been prompted to visit the doctor after hearing of Megan's battle.

"I'm pleased to hear people are taking their health seriously and have been to get tested."

The Menlove family had also been inundated with offers of support which had been humbling, he said.

An online fundraiser set up by friends had already raised more than $13,000 for Sophia, 4, Emma, 2, and 11-week-old Alice Menlove.

A Facebook fundraising page, also launched by friends, had been auctioning donated items and a charity evening in Queenstown on May 31 will raise $7500 in ticket sales alone.

The Southland Times had also been contacted by many readers wanting to know how they could help in some way.

On Facebook, Southern Steel said Netball New Zealand had donated two double passes to today's sold-out Steel v Magic game in Invercargill. "Megan's story has touched everyone here at Southern Steel. She was a talented netballer in her youth and a wonderful person," the posting said.

The highest bidders on the tickets would win with the money going to the Megan Menlove fund.

Anyone wanting to donate to the fund for the girls can visit givealittle.co.nz/cause/4meganmenlove or make a deposit into an account opened for the girls at the BNZ 02 0924 0111528 00.

Ad Feedback

- The Southland Times

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should fluoride in water be the responsibility of central government?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content