Burger King gas leak overcomes student

Last updated 18:54 16/01/2014

Relevant offers


Havelock North water inquiry would look at fault, but not 'liability' Disabled children given new-found freedom with custom BMWs Junior doctors' negotiations with DHBs slammed as 'absolute farce' by union Nurse steals money from elderly patient with dementia 'Positive aspects' from talks with junior doctors, say DHBs 'Systemic change' needed for those with autism in New Zealand, advocate says Mother with Pompe a rare genetic disease petitions parliament Not letting ADD get in the way of managing a business Forgotten World on sick woman's wish list Councillor wants locals to donate blood

An Auckland woman was overcome by fumes from a gas leak at a Burger King store and passed out when she returned home.

Student Natasha Austin, 19, ate at the New Lynn Burger King yesterday evening but she felt ill after a few minutes in the store.

"All you could smell was LPG," she said.

She developed a headache and felt nauseous and her mother became dizzy.

Austin said she passed out when she got home and woke this morning feeling "out of her body" and as if she had a terrible hangover.

She rang the company today and a manager confirmed there had been a gas leak.

A Burger King spokeswoman told Fairfax Media the store had "a small leak coming from a fryer in the back".

A regional manager had investigated and the restaurant was closed for about an hour at midday while the leak was repaired.

No other reports of illness had been received from customers and no staff were affected by the gas, she said.

The manager had been in contact with Austin and had invited her back in to the store for a meal on the company, she said.

Austin disputed that she had been invited to the restaurant.

"I wouldn't eat there again," she said.

Ad Feedback

- Fairfax Media

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should fluoride in water be the responsibility of central government?



Vote Result

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content