A norovirus outbreak at Auckland's Middlemore Hospital appears to have been contained.
The stomach bug had spread across wards, with staff and patients affected, after being introduced from community admissions.
A hospital spokeswoman said there had been no new cases of the bug reported today.
Middlemore was on alert yesterday after 14 people had fallen ill.
Visitors to affected wards were asked to wear gloves and gowns before entering.
Staff recommended not bringing children to the hospital.
Visitors were also being asked to perform rigorous hand washing with soap and water before and after visiting Middlemore.
Hand gel is not effective against gastroenteritis, the hospital says.
Norovirus, or viral gastroenteritis, causes nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea. Symptoms usually last from 12 to 72 hours.
A norovirus outbreak hit Middlemore, Hamilton and Tauranga hospitals in 2012.
More than 100 Middlemore patients and staff were affected by the virus during the previous outbreak.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Should fluoride in water be the responsibility of central government?