Daily earthquake-affected buildings and damage updates for Wellington city

The Terrace was closed to one lane on Sunday for earthquake repairs to the facade of Intergen House at 45-51 The ...
MAARTEN HOLL/ FAIRFAX NZ

The Terrace was closed to one lane on Sunday for earthquake repairs to the facade of Intergen House at 45-51 The Terrace. The building is set to reopen once works are completed.

Works to take down earthquake-affected 61 Molesworth St in Wellington are due to begin, and Intergen House on The Terrace in the capital is set to reopen to the public after panelling was removed.

We are keeping an eye on works around the city at buildings damaged or deemed unsafe following the magnitude 7.8 quake that shook the country, including Wellington, on Monday November 14.

Business and building owners are urged to get in touch to provide updates for the public.

Do you have an update, or are you concerned about how the place where you live or work was affected by the earthquake? Email news@dompost.co.nz

61 MOLESWORTH ST - CLOSED PERMANENTLY

Deconstruction - meaning the building will be picked apart - was set to start on Monday. The former Deloitte House was closed on November 15 due to fears the building was at risk of imminent collapse.

It caused the evacuations of neighbouring premises, including the Red Cross, the National Library and the Thai Embassy, which will remain closed until 61 Molesworth St has been deconstructed. The Library expects staff may be able to re-enter on Tuesday.

READ MORE:
* Some Wellington buildings to reopen as engineers continue to check
Full coverage: 7.8 earthquake
Kaikoura: a stricken region in pictures
'No building absolutely safe' in Wellington
New, more powerful magnitude - same devastation

Wellington's 61 Molesworth St, damaged in the M7.8 earthquake, is going through the initial phases of deconstruction.
MAARTEN HOLL/FAIRFAX NZ

Wellington's 61 Molesworth St, damaged in the M7.8 earthquake, is going through the initial phases of deconstruction.

STATISTICS HOUSE - CLOSED INDEFINITELY

A Government inquiry has been announced and engineering reports are underway with no certainty over the future of Statistics House.

BNZ HARBOUR QUAYS BUILDING - CLOSED

The Customhouse Quay building will be out of action for months.

Ad Feedback

It is BNZ's main Wellington building, on the waterfront, and was closed for repairs following the July 2013 earthquake.

It sustained extensive damage in the latest shake, with windows shattered, a sliding door detached and a large hole in a ceiling panel.

In a statement, a BNZ spokeswoman said it was "likely to be some months before we are back in, rather than the weeks we first thought".

The bank couldn't give definite dates around repairs, but building owners CentrePort had appointed Fletcher Building to oversee the process.

KATHERINE MANSFIELD HOUSE - CLOSED

The famous author's childhood home was damaged by the collapse of an old brick wall from a neighbouring property.

The Katherine Mansfield Birthplace Society says the house and garden "are not irrevocably damaged", but the full extent of the damage won't be known until the neighbours' wall is moved.

The society has launched a crowdfunding campaign to help cover the cost of repairs, likely to be between $10,000 and $20,000, to remove the brick wall from the house, repair the weatherboards, fix the fire alarm and pipe works, and "bring our garden back to life".

25 TENNYSON ST - TO BE CONFIRMED

The apartment building in central Wellington was evacuated last week over safety fears.

The Wellington Regional Emergency Management Office (Wremo) confirmed on October 16 that the cordon on the street had been lifted, but residents were still unable to get back into No. 25, which had suffered structural damage.

The Fire Service said overall 23 apartments were evacuated, affecting 60 people, with the damage in a main structural element in the building.

Property manager Quinovic referred enquiries to the building's body corporate, Rolle Consultancy and Management, which was contacted for comment on Monday.

DEFENCE HOUSE - CLOSED

The NZ Defence Force headquarters on Aitken St, which houses around 1200 workers, is closed to due to earthquake damage, with officials refusing to say when staff might return.

RNZ reported last week that staff who work in the building had been told they may not return for a year.

The Defence Force was contacted for an update on Monday.

HIGH COURT - CLOSED

The Molesworth St building experienced damage in the earthquake, which the Ministry of Justice said was still being assessed by structural engineers.

The building is closed until further notice, with urgent High Court business being conducted at other courts around New Zealand.

GREATER WELLINGTON REGIONAL COUNCIL - CLOSED

Council offices on the waterfront at Shed 39 are closed.  However, the council's customer contact centre is operational on 0800 496 734 and non-urgent enquires can be emailed to info@gw.govt.nz

DELOITTE HOUSE - CLOSED

The 10 Brandon St building suffered some damage to its building services and fitouts, with further assessments due to be undertaken over the next two weeks.

INTERGEN HOUSE - CLOSED

Closed, soon to reopen. Exterior panelling on the building's facade were removed on Sunday. The cordons around the base of the building, located on The Terrace, could be removed as early as Monday.

The building has been deemed structurally sound and is expected to reopen once the cordons are removed. 

COURTENAY CENTRAL - CLOSED 

Closed, works under way. Concerns about the multi-storey Reading Cinema car park has caused a large section of Courtenay Pl businesses, including bars, to be cordoned off. The Wellington City Council says work to temporarily strengthen the car park during the next few days.

Steel props and framing will be installed along, possibly, with Kevlar 'wraps' on building pillars to stabilise the structure, which could take up to a month. Cordons are likely to remain in place until the work is completed. 

ARCHIVES NZ BUILDING - CLOSED

The building on Mulgrave St, and home to the Treaty of Waitangi among, was evacuated due to earthquake damage. A report is due to be carried out.

WELLINGTON GIRLS' COLLEGE - PARTIALLY OPEN

The school was closed to juniors on Monday while cracks in two stairwells were checked. 

The school's website says those cracks have been found to be superficial and the stairs have not moved at all, and the school will open for juniors on Tuesday. 

REVERA HOUSE - TO BE CONFIRMED

Closed Friday for checks, the Mulgrave St building was expected to reopen on Monday. Revera has been contacted for more information.

HOUSING NEW ZEALAND OFFICES - OPEN

One of Housing NZ's offices was evacuated on Friday and engineers over the weekend cleared the offices on Boulcott St office as safe to occupy.

ENVIRONMENT HOUSE - CLOSED

The Kate Sheppard Pl building was closed last Monday, with an engineer's assessment suggesting it was structurally sound. However, it was being re-checked in light of "emerging information" about nearby buildings. The Ministry for the Environment said it is likely to be 4-6 weeks until it can reopen.

JUSTICE CENTRE - OPEN

Employees at the Aitken St, Thorndon, building were due to return to work on Monday.

QUEENSGATE MALL - PARTIALLY OPEN

The Lower Hutt mall's car park is being assessed by engineers. Parts of the fringe areas of the mall have reopened to customers, including the Countdown Supermarket, but the main body remains closed.

A post on the mall's Facebook page said no parts of the centre had collapsed.

JAMES SMITH CAR PARK - CLOSED

The car park is closed for repairs after a seismic assessment and is anticipated to re-open in the new year.

Other car parks that remained closed on Monday included: Kumutoto North car park, Marion St, Midland/Waring-Taylor, Stout St, Ministry of Justice building, Centre City Plaza Lower Hutt, Centreport and Waterloo, Courtenay Central, 61 Molesworth St.

WELLINGTON CENTRAL LIBRARY - PARTIALLY REOPEN

The second floor is closed. The rest of the library is still open.

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers