Ex Pike boss to get Wellington trial

DEIDRE MUSSEN
Last updated 12:55 17/06/2013
Peter Whittall
IAN MACGREGOR
Peter Whittall

Relevant offers

Pike River mine disaster

Payout to Pike River families under way Pike decision 'firmly based on legal principles' 'Not appropriate' to continue Pike boss prosecution Bid to retrieve Pike mine workers starts Pike River re-entry project to begin Couple want son to stay in mine Light at end of the tunnel Pike River entry decision set to be announced Pike River mine re-entry plan Police: no criminal charges over Pike River

Former Pike River Coal boss Peter Whittall has succeeded in his bid to get his trial moved from Greymouth to Wellington.

Judge Jane Farish released her reserved decision today into his application to shift his upcoming trial over alleged health and safety failures relating to the November 2010 coalmine blast that killed 29 men.

''I am satisfied it is in the interests of justice to transfer these proceedings to Wellington given the complexity and length of the trial together with Mr Whittall's personal position.''

Whittall's ability to defend himself in Greymouth would have been ''significantly compromised'' because of the trial's complexity and length coupled with difficulties with travel, Judge Farish said in her written decision.

''I am satisfied that the public interests can be met by the proceedings being streamed live from Wellington.''

Whittall's lawyers had previously claimed hostility from Greymouth's community plus administrative and travel problems would stop him getting a fair trial in Greymouth District Court.

Whittall, Pike's chief executive for less than seven weeks when the mine exploded, has denied all 12 charges under the Health and Safety in Employment Act.

The former Labour Department, now part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, alleged he failed to protect workers from harm relating to methane, strata and ventilation management, and mitigating explosion risk and impact. Each charge carries a maximum penalty of $250,000.

In March, Whittall's lawyer, Stuart Grieve QC, told the court Whittall had experienced ''hostile and inappropriate behaviour'' by members of the public in previous visits.

''It can be understood emotions are running high in Greymouth and rightly or wrongly those emotions are focused on Mr Whittall because he is the only defendant,'' Grieve said at the time.

He told the court it could be ''physically and emotionally debilitating'' for Wellington-based Whittall to spend three or four months away from his family and support.

Other shortcomings in running a complex court case in Greymouth included the huge volume of disclosure documents and expense because most of the 140 witnesses were not from the West Coast, he said.

However, the ministry's lawyer, Brent Stanaway QC, said at the time the families of the 29 men killed had a right to have the case heard in their own community.

Ad Feedback

Public interest in holding the trial in Greymouth outweighed ''economics and convenience'' for Whittall's legal team.

Whittall had initially been seen as some sort of a hero in the blast's wake only to later become vilified, Stanaway said.

However, he doubted the community's poor behaviour toward Whittall had reached the point the trial needed to change venue.

Whittall is the sole individual charged over the tragedy at the underground West Coast coalmine.

In April, Judge Farish found Pike River Coal Ltd (in receivership) guilty on nine health and safety failures and blamed it for causing the fatal blast. It would be sentenced on July 4 and 5.

VLI Drilling, a Sydney-based subsidiary of Valley Longwall International, admitted last July to three charges of health and safety failures relating to the tragedy and was fined $46,800 last October, which sparked outrage from many families of the dead men.

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content