Kim Dotcom offers $5m for legal help

STACEY KIRK
Last updated 10:07 09/06/2014

Related Links

Dotcom spars with studios over assets

Relevant offers

Politics

Campaign 2014 is littered with landmines A long week in politics John Key: 'Ask me anything' Mark could get NZ First across line Greens wary of foreign-owned 'wall of wood' PM offers phone records PPTA reaches interim agreement Today in politics: Saturday, August 23 Conservatives goes to court over airtime More cash dished out for MPs' housing expenses

Kim Dotcom is offering $5 million to anyone who can help him with his extradition case.

The US is seeking to extradite Dotcom to face charges of copyright conspiracy, racketeering and money-laundering allegedly carried out by his file-sharing company, Megaupload.

Earlier this year Dotcom lost his final bid in the Supreme Court, to gain access to evidence the US government had against him in his case.

The matter of disclosure had already been ruled on in three courts. Two judges - one each in the District Court and one in the High Court - ruled that Dotcom should be allowed to see all the information, but this year the Court of Appeal ruled against him.

The German internet mogul and founder of the Internet Party is now offering $5 million to anyone who can prove government corruption over the handling of his case. 

"We are asking for information that proves unlawful or corrupt conduct by the US government, the New Zealand government, spy agencies, law enforcement and Hollywood", Dotcom told website Torrentfreak.com.

"It is the opinion of my legal team that disclosure of such information would be lawful. I would also guarantee that any whistleblower coming forward would have the best legal representation at zero cost."

Dotcom said he was talking with his lawyers about the logistics of such a payment. It would most likely be paid to a trust, with terms and conditions to anyone who submitted information.

He wanted people to submit information to a new secure drop box set up by UK paper The Guardian.

"I will not just offer a bounty for the piece of 'case winning' information but for anything useful," Dotcom said.
Extradition is not the only court case Dotcom is fighting.

The Motion Picture Association of America has filed a lawsuit on behalf of six major Hollywood studios, seeking to put a lock on Dotcom's currently frozen assets, should he get his hands on them again.

The studios claim in their suit that the Megaupload founder "facilitated, encouraged, and profited" from illegal file-sharing on the site.

The music industry is also after Dotcom with the Recording Industry Association of America last week also filing an application in the High Court to freeze his assets.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

Is it time for Judith Collins to go?

Yes

No

Undecided

Vote Result

Related story: Judith Collins looking isolated

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content