Cunliffe accepts TVNZ assurances

TRACY WATKINS
Last updated 17:20 25/07/2014
Mike Hosking
Mike Hosking

Relevant offers

Politics

Data suggests Labour out till 2020 Turia's 'beaten wives' slur rejected by Labour's Davis Moveable feast for leadership Leadership goes beyond charisma Election jitters see confidence fall South Korean free trade agreement 'close' Cunliffe, Robertson trade blows Dunne duped into serial killer retweet Beehive Live: It's war Leadership battle may blind Labour

Labour leader David Cunliffe says he has accepted Television New Zealand assurances about presenter Mike Hosking and has dropped his objection to appearing in a live televised leaders' debate with Prime Minister John Key.

Cunliffe said today that TVNZ had assured him Hosking would be scrupulously fair and apolitical in the way he conducted the debate.

Labour had complained that the Seven Sharp host was too close to National and compiled a dossier of examples.

It included Hosking dismissing Cunliffe as a "moron" - and his endorsement of Key before a major political speech last year.

Hosking has stayed out of the row.

But TVNZ made it clear from the start that Hosking would not be pulled and backed him to the hilt.

The controversy has been a distraction for Cunliffe who promised only on Tuesday to "de-clutter" Labour's message and avoid buying into trivial issues.

Boycotting the leaders debate was never an option as it would have been political suicide for Cunliffe not to maximise any opportunity he got to go head-to-head with Key on the campaign trail.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should David Cunliffe lead Labour again?

Yes

No

Not sure

Vote Result

Related story: Cunliffe, Robertson trade blows

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content