Tuhoe accuse Key of taking Urewera deal off table

BY MARTIN KAY
Last updated 05:00 11/05/2010

Relevant offers

Politics

Here are the numbers, what about the vision Election 2017: Blood in the political waters opens the door for an upset 'We are owed something out here' - Poto Williams in Christchurch East Government tops up Southern Response funding to $1.5b We run the ruler over the Government's family income package Budget 2017: Nine years of spending under National First home buyers question how the Budget helps them Colin Craig's tactics against Rachel MacGregor revealed 'It's not easy' says candidate who withdrew from election race in East Coast Bays Why 16-year-olds aren't ready to vote

Prime Minister John Key personally pulled the plug on a Tuhoe bid to win ownership of Te Urewera National Park before the Cabinet had a chance to decide, the iwi's leader says.

Tuhoe chief negotiator Tamati Kruger said Mr Key told him yesterday he had removed the issue from the Cabinet agenda on Sunday night – hours after a National Party conference revealed major concerns among party leaders about a potential backlash on race relations.

"It was withdrawn by the prime minister at the 11th hour," Mr Kruger said. "I was advised that the prime minister himself withdrew it, and then he telephoned this morning just prior to the Cabinet meeting that that was the case."

Mr Key's office would not comment on the claim.

The decision to stop Tuhoe seeking ownership of the park, which includes Lake Waikaremoana, as part of a Treaty settlement is the clearest sign yet of growing sensitivities within National about a potential race relations backlash.

Mr Key and other National leaders made clear at a regional conference at the weekend that they were wary of the way issues such as the foreshore and seabed and a looming onset of Treaty settlements would be received.

Tuhoe wants ownership of the park, with a promise to protect public access and conservation values. But Mr Key – who said on Sunday that he would not comment on the request until the Cabinet had decided it – said vesting ownership would be "unacceptable to the Government".

"It's fair to say that the proposal from Tuhoe's negotiating team falls outside of the broad principles that have operated for other Treaty negotiations. A lot of Treaty settlements have unique provisions, but in my view it would have been quite a significant step away from the broad principles under which we normally negotiate a Treaty settlement."

He said talks on the role the park would play in the Tuhoe settlement would continue, though ownership was now off the table.

He would not speculate on what might be discussed, but the Government's original offer to Tuhoe last year included a joint board to help manage the park.

Mr Kruger said the decision had been a blow to the iwi, which had cancelled a hui planned for Friday that was to have heard the latest offer. He said vesting ownership had been on the table during 18 months of settlement negotiations with several ministers, and never once had anyone from the Government side said it was unacceptable.

"The announcement by the prime minister, I think, indicates a loss of courage and nerve by the Government with negotiations with Tuhoe."

Ad Feedback
Special offers
Opinion poll

Should the speed limit be raised to 110kmh on some roads?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Related story: 110kmh limit moves closer

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content