ACC blunder breaches privacy of 100 clients
ACC is once again in damage control after details of yet another privacy breach are revealed.
Chief executive Ralph Stewart confirmed on ONE News tonight that confidential information about more than 100 clients was mistakenly sent to the wrong people last Friday.
The error follows the corporation’s largest privacy blunder revealed earlier this year, in which ACC wrongly sent private details of 6500 ACC clients, including clients from its sensitive claims unit, to claimant Bronwyn Pullar.
Pullar’s revelations sparked a police investigation, the resignation of National MP Nick Smith, a defamation suit by ACC minister Judith Collins against two Labour MPs and Radio New Zealand, plus a wide-ranging investigation into issues at the corporation by the Privacy Commissioner.
At the time promises were made by Stewart that the mistake would not happen again.
During the interview with One News tonight he could only say he was "deeply apologetic".
"It was a group of people, there were some employers, some self-employed and some large corporations. But I guess in that context it doesn't matter. I do apologise."
Stewart could not say why the error had occurred again.
He said the overdue accounts of 118 claimants were mixed up and sent to other clients last Friday.
ACC said it was now contacting the clients affected by the mistake.