PM used as phone scam bait

ANDREA VANCE
Last updated 13:38 10/09/2012

Relevant offers

Politics

Show goes on without Shane - Cunliffe Davis resurfaces, keen to hound Harawira Labour promises pensions for all vets Govt gets tough on UC's $100m Handling of Jones' exit highly damaging Today in politics: Thursday, April 24 Jones job offer 'not shot at Labour' - PM Departure screams party 'crisis' 'Bully Cunliffe' tweet history, says candidate 'Exciting' results from liquor law change

Phone scammers are using a 'John Key scheme' to unleash malicious software onto victims' computers.

More details have emerged since last week about the fraudsters, who claim to be from Wellington's Inland Revenue Department, telling victims they have been chose to receive money from the fictitious fund.

To claim the fund they must fill in a form and send $149, via Western Union. But when the victim goes online, software is launched onto their computer giving the scammers access to the file.

Consumer Affairs warns there is no 'John Key Scheme' ''. ''If you receive this phone call, put the phone down. Do not send any money, or follow any other instructions the caller may give you,'' the department advised.

A spokesman for Key said: “Consumer Affairs has done the right thing by alerting the public to this scam, and I would encourage anybody who receives such a scam call to follow Consumer Affairs’ advice and put the phone down.”

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Has the resignation of Shane Jones affected Labour's election chances?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Related story: Show goes on without Shane - Cunliffe

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content