Peters: PM's staff told of Dotcom application

ANDREA VANCE
Last updated 10:57 09/10/2012

Relevant offers

Politics

How is John Key going to spin this one? Glenn Inquiry: Domestic violence 'a disaster' Creeping arrogance and deceit is no way to run the country Dotcom's mansion life to continue John Banks: 'I'm an innocent man today' Muslim communities facing a 'backlash' over law Beehive Live: What a week Timeline: John Banks court case Key's government is 'paranoid, secretive' Key claims confusion over texts with Slater

NZ First leader Winston Peters is claiming the Prime Minister's staff were told about Kim Dotcom's application to buy his mansion in July last year - but John Key says he wasn't told.

Key has maintained for months that the first he knew of the German millionaire was on January 19 - when he was briefed on a police raid that was due to take place the next day.

Peters has produced Key's answer to a written parliamentary question to back up his claim.

In the answer, Key confirmed one of his staff was advised by former Cabinet minister Simon Power's office that he was declining an Overseas Investment Office application from Dotcom to buy his $30m Coatesville home.

But Key said: ''This information was not conveyed to me as it was routine.

Peters said is is ''hard to fathom'' how Key can claim he didn't need to know about Dotcom's application to buy the property.

''Why would Mr Power relay the information to the Prime Minister's office if it wasn't for the consumption of the Prime Minister?''

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should the speed limit be raised to 110kmh on some roads?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Related story: 110kmh limit moves closer

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content