Tertiary Education Commission head resigns yet again

ANDREA VANCE
Last updated 05:00 30/11/2012

Relevant offers

Politics

Govt should raise tobacco taxes by up to 50 per cent: smoking opponents The political year has kicked off so here are 10 things to watch out for The sale of an Abel Tasman beach and other gaps in the Queen's chain New hope for Hawaiki or Bluesky cable after Pacific Island leaders meet in Auckland No repeat of controversial NZ live sheep shipment to Mexico this season Metiria Turei returns with a surprise after a four-week sabbatical Max Key's less-than-luxurious Waitangi weekend holiday Prime Minister John Key outlines the Government's priorities for the year Finance Minister Bill English sees no reason to change Reserve Bank agreement NZ considering aid boost to help Tonga contain Zika virus

Tertiary Education Commission head Belinda Clark has quit - her second abrupt resignation in almost two years.

The TEC confirmed yesterday that Ms Clark would step down as chief executive in February, after just 18 months in the job. A statement said she had enjoyed a "fulfilling and productive term" and would take a short break before pursuing other opportunities.

Tertiary Education Minister Steven Joyce recently replaced Sir Wira Gardiner on the TEC board with former Fonterra chief executive John Spencer.

Ms Clark quit the Justice Ministry last April, telling then-minister Simon Power a day before the TEC announced her appointment as chief executive.

A former commercial lawyer and diplomat, Ms Clark oversaw several reforms at Justice, in legal aid and simplifying court processes.

But the ministry also became embroiled in a protracted dispute over pay which saw court staff go on strike. It is understood the Government was unhappy with how it was handled.

Ms Clark has also held positions at Te Puni Kokiri and the Accident Compensation Corporation.

A spokesman for Mr Joyce said Ms Clark had "done a good job" and he was sorry to see her go.

The TEC had other problems yesterday. It confirmed that a briefcase containing papers with details about almost 500 education workers had been stolen.

It stressed that Ms Clark's resignation was unrelated to the theft.

The case belonged to a TEC panellist and was taken from a coffee shop on the AUT university campus on Wednesday. Police and university security staff were called in.

It contained a spreadsheet with the names and details of 497 current and former research staff from universities, institutes of technology and polytechnics, and private training establishments across the country.

Deputy chief executive Colin Webb said the information was left "momentarily unattended in a common area at the meeting venue".

Ad Feedback

- Fairfax Media

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should the speed limit be raised to 110kmh on some roads?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Related story: 110kmh limit moves closer

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content