Paula Bennett takes sexual violence sector role

KATE CHAPMAN
Last updated 09:48 22/02/2013

Relevant offers

Politics

ComCom forces probe co-operation Show goes on without Shane - Cunliffe Davis resurfaces, keen to hound Harawira Labour promises pensions for all vets Govt gets tough on UC's $100m Handling of Jones' exit highly damaging Today in politics: Thursday, April 24 Jones job offer 'not shot at Labour' - PM Departure screams party 'crisis' 'Bully Cunliffe' tweet history, says candidate

Senior minister Paula Bennett has taken over ministerial responsibility for the sexual violence sector.

The responsibility has previously been split between several government ministers.

Wellington Rape Crisis welcomed the move.

Agency manager Natalie Gousmett said having one minister accountable for the sector was something they had been asking for.

"It is a great relief to see some concrete action being taken by Government to support a sector that is falling to its knees because of lack of sustainable and consistent funding."

She hoped Bennett would be able to address the "chronic underfunding" of services.

"We provide extremely effective and efficient services that benefit the whole community.  It would be a tragedy if that service were no longer available to people in the Wellington region.

''We know that sexual violence costs the Government billions, so improved support to specialist services provides savings for everyone."

Gousmett said she would also like to see a dedicated government agency to oversee and support the sexual violence sector.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Has the resignation of Shane Jones affected Labour's election chances?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Related story: Show goes on without Shane - Cunliffe

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content