Len Brown 'back in business'

SARAH HARVEY
Last updated 10:54 29/10/2013
Fairfax NZ

Auckland Mayor Len Brown says it's back to business within the council.

Relevant offers

Politics

Right to smoko removed Today in politics: Friday, October 31 Support needed for sex assault cases PM says using homeopathy to treat Ebola is mad Police minister's drink-drive confession $2.16 trillion breakthrough for Kiwi firms Beehive Live: Brakes on breaks? Record level seen for construction Key, Abbott in Perth for Anzac comemmoration Andrew Little vows 'polarising policy' crackdown

Auckland mayor Len Brown has made it through his first major public appearance since news of his two-year affair broke and said he was not feeling under pressure from councillors calling for his head.

Brown, speaking this morning at an announcement that Auckland had been named in the Lonely Planet guide's top-10 cities in the world to visit, chatted happily with Blues coach Sir John Kirwan, television personality Carol Hirschfeld, and council officers.

It has been a torrid two weeks for the newly re-elected mayor, following revelations he had been involved in an affair with a 32-year-old member of a council advisory board Bevan Chuang. Right-wing councillors have called for the mayor to resign.

Brown said he had spent the long weekend at the beach with his wife and daughters.

"My wife and our kids visited Tawharanui over the weekend," he said.

Auckland's councillors, deputy mayor Penny Hulse and Brown will be formally inaugurated at a council governing body meeting this evening.

Brown said he did not feel under any pressure before the inauguration.

"This is a real time for celebration and moving forward and the inauguration is an important part of establishing the second term," he said.

"We have got six new councillors, it is a great night for them.

"We have also just announced that Penny Hulse will be the deputy mayor for Auckland again. She did a great job in the first term and will do a great job in the second term."

Brown said he wanted to send a message to community that the council was "back in business".

"We are doing the business of the city," he said.

"We will be making some clear statements tonight about what the challenges are for us going forward. I am really looking forward to the opportunity for us once more to move into Auckland mode."

Brown said he had not been given a timeline for the chief executive review into his conduct.

"That will be due out in its own time," he said.

"The chief executive officer will deal with that."

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

Would you pay $2 to use Auckland's motorways?

Yes - fair enough.

No - I'd use other roads instead.

Vote Result

Related story: Auckland motorway toll could top $350 a year

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content