Number of Kiwis dying overseas on rise

Last updated 05:00 07/01/2014

Relevant offers


Peter Dunne: Unified fire agency will emphasise flexibility Malcolm McKinnon: Anzac Day 2017 – time to lower the flag? Cabinet reshuffle sees Waikato get two more minsters Brownlee already in diplomatic mode Brownlee gets foreign affairs, but Smith's demotion on drip-feed Red Cross nurse in the line of fire Gerry Brownlee exits Christchurch a controversial, contrary figure Christchurch reacts to Gerry Brownlee relinquishing rebuild job New Zealand enters Chinese "upgrade" talks with longer list than its counterpart Gerry Brownlee appointed foreign affairs minister and newcomer Mark Mitchell gets big promotion

More than two million trips are made by New Zealanders overseas each year, and although the number who don't make it back alive is small, it is increasing.

In the near 10 months to September 25 last year, 154 New Zealanders were killed overseas, figures issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs show. That's up from 143 for the full 2012 year and 132 for the full 2011.

The figures come just days after Wellington mother-of-two Lynn Howie and her British partner were shot and killed on a beach in Libya's Zawiya District.

The ministry is advising against all travel to the region, which has a "high to extreme" risk to security because of terrorism and kidnappings.

Figures show more Kiwis die in Australia than any other country, but that is due to the large number who live there.

Thailand - a popular destination particularly among younger New Zealanders - is second on the list.

Eighteen New Zealanders were killed in Thailand in the 2013 year to September 25.

More than 115,000 Kiwis travelled there.

New Zealand's ambassador to Thailand, Tony Lynch said the post was one of the ministry's busiest for a range of reasons - "either a mix of the complexity of the issues or just the volume of cases we have to deal with".

"I wouldn't say Thailand is any more dangerous than anywhere else, but it's a matter of the volume of tourists that come through and the demographic factor," he said.

"We get a lot of younger New Zealanders out to explore Asia - they are probably a bit more innocent, and . . . engage in riskier behaviour."

This time of the year was considered peak season, and while helping hapless Kiwis was only a small fraction of the work the embassy carried out, it was an important part.

Two consul staff handled all requests for help, with one of those employed by the ministry being Thai.

"You need the language to be able to navigate through the Thai bureaucracy and with Thai authorities," he said.

"One of the classic Thai holiday examples is people come, they're in their holiday gear, they hire a bike and scoot around and have an accident and then find that their insurance policy doesn't cover riding a moped or a scooter."

Embassy staff would, more often than not, help the traveller and their family organise transport back to New Zealand to receive free healthcare, or facilitate the payment of medical fees in Thailand.

But according to the figures, deaths far outnumber accidents and injuries for New Zealanders across the globe.

Only 19 people found themselves requiring consulate assistance after being injured in an accident last year, in countries ranging from Thailand to Tanzania.

Ad Feedback

Lynch said it was "vitally important" travellers registered their itineraries and made sure their families always knew what part of the world they were in.

"It makes the call home - usually to mum, to shift some money - much easier and faster to make."

In Australia, Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop recently signalled a "user-pays" approach to consular assistance after 11,927 Australians sought help in the past financial year.

New Zealand Ministry for Foreign Affairs spokesman Adham Crichton said the ministry did not charge for providing assistance, but it did not provide money either.

"We don't provide money for legal fees or emergency flights home.

"Only in very limited cases can we give a cash advance, but that is always expected to be paid back."

Lynch said the embassy was always there to help, "but the less we see them [tourists] the better - it means they're enjoying their holidays". 


Jan Gilby and Mike Todd still don't know what they would do if they were forced to repeat the tragic circumstances of October 8, 2009.

Their son, Ben Gilby-Todd, 23 at the time, had been living and working in England, but gone for a sailing holiday in Croatia with his younger brother, Tom.

The parents were sharing a delightful stroll through Chartwell Square. But at 8pm their world changed forever.

Tom, who was 18, called them from Croatia and told them the devastating news. Ben had been riding pillion on a motorbike on the island of Korcula. Tom went to identify his body.

"Of course it completely stops your life in its tracks," Todd said.

From there the night became frantic. There was no information. They called the New Zealand Police - nothing, but the sergeant had a friend in Internal Affairs.

They called Internal Affairs - they didn't know anything either. There is no New Zealand consulate in Croatia.

Next the couple were put on to the New Zealand consulate in Rome, who gave them a number for someone in Croatia. But there was no luck there either.

"He was very hard to understand and he didn't have any information anyway," Todd said.

"We just puddled on trying to find out what happened ourselves," Gilby added.

It wasn't until 9.30am the next day that they had any snippet of information as to what had happened to their son.

Their ordeal is shared by dozens of Kiwi families every year.

But freak accidents can happen anywhere, and Todd and Gilby think the processes once those accidents happen needs to be reviewed.

Police should be involved and parents should be called, they say.

Four years later, they still don't really know how their son died, or what happened to the driver of the motorbike - other than the eight-page-long letter they received from him after Gilby sent one to him.

"Finding out about the court case . . . we just gave up."

They are still clueless as to what the system is, and what it should be and they hold great empathy for any family that has to get information about a relative lost overseas.

"There was just a whole breakdown in all of the processes," Gilby said.

There needs to be information readily available, they said, such as a page in the phonebook, or available on Google.

Had it not been for the support of their own family and friends around the globe along with Ben's employers, Deloitte, the Hamilton parents say they would have been "stuffed".

Deloitte shipped in a team of Ben's friends and colleagues to deal with the mortuary and the authorities. It took 14 days to get Ben's body home.

"We were lucky," Todd said. "I've heard of another person that was four-and-a-half weeks."

"It was a nightmare, but it could have been so much worse," Gilby said. 

View mobile map

- The Dominion Post


Special offers
Opinion poll

Should the speed limit be raised to 110kmh on some roads?



Vote Result

Related story: 110kmh limit moves closer

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content