Government to pursue case against Carter Holt

Last updated 17:12 09/04/2014

Relevant offers

Politics

SFO's Adam Feeley confident truth will come out Labour invests in Christchurch transport Bradford shooting tweet sparks backlash If you were the Prime Minister.... Parties differ markedly on economic policy Norman makes a point with paddle Live Chat: Labour's David Parker Judith Collins' office made haste on OIA National caught deep in the mire Campaign Diary: Monday, Sept 1

Building company Carter Holt Harvey, owned by rich lister Graeme Hart, has failed to stop a major government lawsuit over its supply of wall materials for schools.

Associate Education Minister Nikki Kaye said today the Government would pursue its lawsuit after the High Court last week ruled against Carter Holt's attempt to have the case struck out.

"I am pleased with the recent judgment and support the ministry [of education] continuing to pursue all avenues that support delivery of the best possible learning environments for our students and teachers," she said.

Last year the Government sued building companies Carter Holt, James Hardie, CSR and Studorp, claiming they had been involved in supplying faulty cladding systems installed in 5590 school buildings.

ASX-listed James Hardie disclosed in December it had entered a confidential settlement in the lawsuit, saying it would not have a material impact on its results.

The Government has said its case against CSR was also settled.

Kaye said details of the ongoing legal action were confidential.

Carter Holt did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Ad Feedback

- Fairfax Media

Special offers
Opinion poll

Will Judith Collins' resignation hurt National at the polls?

Yes

No

Vote Result

Related story: Judith Collins resigns, says she's a victim

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content