Wheelie bin prank sparks fire

Last updated 12:58 09/06/2014

Relevant offers

A prank turned into a more serious emergency after a wheelie bin set alight spread to a power box in a Nelson residential street.

When firefighters arrived at Ngatitama St at 2am yesterday the box supplying electricity to neighbouring homes was buzzing and sparking.

They were unable to do anything until Delta contractors arrived and in the meantime the fire spread to a fence and wooden letterbox, said Station officer Brian O'Donnell.

Once the power issues had been dealt with they were able to extinguish the fire.

Ad Feedback

- Nelson

Special offers
Opinion poll

Does Nelson deserve to be classed as a city?

Yes

No

Don't know/Don't care

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content