Youths arrested after 24-hour crime spree

01:17, Jul 21 2010
Nelson police
COLLARED: Nelson Police lead two handcuffed youths away after the stolen car they where driving was stopped using road spikes near the turn-off to Teal Valley.

Two Christchurch youths have been arrested at Taser and gunpoint after an alleged 24-hour crime spree across the upper South Island.

The pair were arrested at Taser and gun point on the Nelson side of Whangamoa Hill at about 2.30pm yesterday after a 24-hour crime spree, Senior Sergeant Stu Koefoed, of Nelson police, said.

Police had been searching for the pair since yesterday when a car was reported stolen from Christchurch. The car was later dumped in Kaikoura and the occupants fled the scene.

"The occupants were tracked by police dogs for a considerable distance across farm land but managed to evade apprehension until the morning where several vehicles were stolen from Seddon and then Blenheim which have been linked to the pair," Mr Koefoed said.

Another vehicle was later stolen from Blenheim and dumped in Havelock where a further vehicle was then reported as stolen.

A short time later, firearms and a late model Jaguar car were reported stolen from a house in Havelock.


Police spotted the stolen Jaguar on the Whangamoa Hill near Nelson, and after the driver of the vehicle refused to stop it was road-spiked, Mr Koefoed said.

"The two youths in the vehicle were arrested at Taser and gunpoint without resistance."

Police recovered a stolen property from the car, including a loaded air rifle, which was on the backseat of the car.

Further firearms were still being sought by police.

A 15-year-old and 17-year-old were in police custody and would appear in the Nelson Youth Court today on a raft of charges.

Mr Koefoed said he was "pleased with the prompt and decisive manner that the arrest was affected without incident, bearing in mind that the pair had firearms in their possession and they were clearly intending to evade police".