Partner grieves loss of loved, loyal mate

00:01, Oct 30 2012

The partner of Terence John Frederick Grew, a 56-year-old Takaka motorcyclist who died in a collision with a car driven by an 80-year-old Nelson man along the Appleby Highway, says he was her "everything" and he will leave a huge gap.

The crash happened at 5.30pm on Saturday at Appleby, near Richmond, at the intersection of State Highway 60 and the Moutere Highway, known as Pea Viner Corner.

The silver 1989 Subaru hatchback was coming out of the Moutere Highway and indicating to turn right to head toward Nelson, and collided with the motorcyclist, heading toward Motueka. He died at the scene.

Detective Senior Sergeant Wayne McCoy, of Nelson, said the motorcyclist was riding a 2005 Harley Davidson Sportster. There was no indication of speeding, he said.

Serious crash investigators and detectives are investigating. The vehicles will be examined today and witnesses are being interviewed.

St John Ambulance team manager Jon Leach said an off-duty paramedic had arrived almost immediately after the crash, but there was nothing that could be done for the motorcyclist.


The driver of the other vehicle had no significant injuries.

Mr Grew's partner, Anita Brockhouse, said she had been with him for 20 years, and for the past five years the couple had been living on the Takaka Hill, managing a farm of sheep, donkeys and a cat.

A magnet for animals and children, he had been a loyal friend with a great sense of humour.

"Everybody that he got to know just loved him dearly. He touched people very deeply.

"For the people who knew him and loved him, you just can't replace a person like that."

A funeral would be organised over the next few days, to be held in Christchurch, where he spent a lot of his early years.

Mr Grew, who had one daughter and three grandchildren, had owned bikes all his life. He had been a keen trailbike rider in his early years.

The motorcycle he had been riding on Saturday had been a 50th birthday present, she said.

He had been riding back home after visiting a friend in Hope.

Appleby Rural Fire Service deputy controller John Russ was one of the first on the scene, after being alerted by a neighbour, but said the motorcyclist was dead by the time he arrived.

He said the two vehicles were hardly damaged, with the motorcycle looking as if it had been lightly scratched by the road.

The road had been busy as the Nelson Speedway was on that night, and the surface was damp, he said. About 12 fire officers were on the scene, a mixture of those from Appleby and Richmond, and they stayed for about two hours, he said.

Mr Russ lives close to the corner, and said the intersection was difficult, with obscured vision due to the way it was designed.

"It can be a very dangerous corner there. We often have discussions about that corner."

The fatal crash, the first for the year in Tasman, brings the Nelson Bays road toll to three.

The Nelson Mail