A former prominent national figure is appealing his conviction for indecently assaulting his stepdaughter.
It is the second time he has appealed following two jury trials in the Nelson District Court.
The man, whose name is suppressed, was sentenced a month ago to seven months' home detention and has been released from that, pending the appeal.
He was first arrested nearly three years ago - on New Year's Eve 2009 - and has fought three charges of indecent assault of a young person under 16.
The girl said the man stroked her right breast while watching television in the lounge of their Nelson home, and later in her bedroom indecently touched her and kissed her back on December 30, 2009.
The man said none of that happened.
In June last year he was convicted and sentenced to 15 months' imprisonment but immediately appealed.
Last December the Court of Appeal quashed his conviction and ordered a retrial which was held in September.
That appeal cited unfairness through a lack of balance in replaying a video record of the girl's evidence to the jury.
Now the man, represented by lawyer Pip Hall, has lodged an appeal against his conviction.
- © Fairfax NZ News