Complaint ignored - crash dad

The father of Ben Carson who was killed in the 2010 Anzac Day Iroquois crash, says the latest report does not address the one question he wanted answered.

Andrew Carson, who now lives in Nelson with his wife, Pauline, said the findings in a review by Wellington barrister Matthew McClelland had not answered why he and his wife were left off the email list for the crash investigation meetings.

"And I hardly consider an email saying, ‘sorry, we forgot about you' to be an apology."

Mr McClelland said in his review that the Defence Force was not completely to blame for the "miscommunication" that angered some of the victims' families in the wake of the crash.

However, the review has recommended 26 changes to Defence Force protocol in the wake of the tragedy. They include appointing staff to be dedicated points of contact for family after personnel are killed in action and making sure the wills of all Defence Force staff are up to date.

The McClelland inquiry was begun in April 2011 after a string of gaffes by the Defence Force in how it dealt with the families of Corporal Carson and Sergeant Stevin Creeggan, who was severely injured but survived.

The findings into the Defence Force's dealings with Mr and Mrs Carson acknowledge some "significant shortcomings".

Much of the Carsons' anger stemmed from their exclusion from meetings arranged to update the victims' families on the crash investigation, and a two-year battle to have their son's personal items returned, caused by a legal dispute between them and their son's partner, Philippa Neill.

In his findings, Mr McClelland said the "genesis" of the Defence Force's failings was a communication breakdown that, in part, resulted from the Carsons' "relative isolation" from Ohakea Air Force Base, near Bulls.

They were living in Christchurch at the time of the crash.

"Sight should not be lost of the fact that the families and partners of Flight Lieutenant [Hayden] Madsen and Flying Officer [Dan] Gregory, and Ms Neill, all speak positively of [the air force's] post-crash management."

The Carsons' toxic relationship with the Defence Force resulted partly from the fact that they raised concerns with as many Defence Force staff as possible, which led to "mixed messages", Mr McClelland said.

"It is my view, the level of support provided to the Carsons . . . was very appropriate and responsive."

He did not criticise the Defence Force for withholding Corporal Carson's personal possessions for about two years, saying it was right to do so until the dispute over his estate had been settled. He did not have a will at the time of his death.

Sergeant Creeggan's father, John, said last night that he had not received a copy of the McClelland findings, despite being told it would arrive yesterday.

The Defence Force said it could not comment as it had also not received the report.

The Nelson Mail