Barbecue explosion burns boy

MICHAEL FORBES
Last updated 23:25 28/01/2013

Relevant offers

A 12-year-old Motueka boy was burnt in the face, back and arms when a barbecue he was cooking on exploded.

Ambulance communications spokesman Bruce Chubb said the boy suffered superficial burns to about 10 per cent of his upper body when the incident occurred near Kaiteriteri Beach about 8pm.

It was understood a ‘‘leaky’’ gas cylinder caused the explosion, he said.

The Nelson Marlborough Rescue Helicopter airlifted the boy from the Kaiteriteri Camping Ground to Nelson Hospital in a moderate condition.

He was treated on-board by an intensive care paramedic.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should Tasman District Council contribute to the running costs of a bus service that runs through Richmond?

Yes - It should support a service that benefits its region

No - Nelson City Council should pay for its own projects

Dont' know/don't care

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content