Judge orders psychiatric report

04:23, Jan 31 2013
Gary Green
Gary Green

The man accused of barricading himself in a Blenheim motel room yesterday appeared in the Blenheim District Court today on five charges. He is Gary Ramon Neville Green, 40, of Nelson. 

He was charged with:

As he was being led from the dock Green called out to Judge Zohrab asking what guarantees he could give that he would not be physically assaulted or threatened by authorities while in custody.

Judge Zohrab remanded Green to return to the Blenheim District Court on February 11 to face the fresh charges along with earlier charges of burglary from Takaka Outreach Mental Health Services and a charge of theft from the Hangdog Camp d ground, which he had been due to appear on in the Nelson District Court.

Judge Zohrab ordered a psychiatric report to be completed to assess Green's fitness to plead and whether he was insane at the time the charges he is accused of occurred.

Green was remanded in custody by consent after defence lawyer Rennie Gould said he had no address to go to. It was unfortunate that a mental health professional had assessed Green as not being mentally disturbed in a brief preliminary screening before his court appearance, Mrs Gould said and she felt he needed to be kept in hospital. 


''I asked him if he wanted to be in hospital and he said he wants to be dead.''

Mrs Gould said there were no hospital beds available for the man, but one might become available.

Green was dressed in blue police overalls and limped into the dock, possibly because of the cuts to his leg that were inflicted yesterday.

His dark hair was medium length and curly and he sported a goatee.

On Saturday Green posted messages on his Facebook page saying he would ''bring an end to it all'' and ''there was no point trying anymore''.

He said he had tried to get help from everyone including doctors, police and Work and Income, and everyone had told him to ''F... off''.

He said he had no benefit, job or anywhere to live.

The man had stayed at the Atlantis Backpackers in Picton over the Christmas period where he had worked as a woofer and painted a mural.

Owner Sheira Hudson said she had concerns about the man's mental health as he was obviously  needy. The man was not bad, but was unable to get the help he needed, she said.

From time to time the backpackers had people with similar issues and it was tragic that there was little help available as they did not fit in anywhere and there were few services available for them, she said. 

A Christchurch woman said she had been in contact with the man before the incident and had been concerned about his welfare.

She had called police and asked them to get him an ambulance, she said. Mr Grantham said the man was  treated at the scene by St John for cuts to his body and taken to Wairau Hospital.

A hospital spokeswoman said the man had minor injuries and had been discharged into police custody. 

The Nelson Mail