Man fatally stabbed in Nile Street

01:16, Aug 06 2013
Nile St murder
CRIME SCENE: An officer stands at the cordon in place on Nile St, Nelson after a fatal stabbing on Sunday night.

Police have released the name of the man who was fatally stabbed in Nile St on Sunday evening.

He was Carl Isaac Joblin, aged 30, of Nelson.

The 23-year-old Nelson man charged with the murder of Mr Joblin has been remanded in custody and granted interim name suppression.

The sales assistant appeared briefly in the Nelson District Court before Judge Tony Zohrab on Monday afternoon. He stood with his head bowed and looked distressed.

Defence lawyer Tony Bamford asked for name suppression so reports on fitness to plead and insanity could be considered.

Judge Zohrab granted interim suppression until August 19.


A woman in the public gallery was heard to call out ''I love you'' as the man was being led away. She then left the court room in tears.

The man will next appear in the High Court at Nelson.

The accused was arrested after crashing his car on Whakatu Drive, Annesbrook last night.

The driver was in the car by himself and the Nelson Mail understands he was not being pursued by police at the time of his crash.

It is also understood the man went to a building on the Nelson waterfront before crashing.

Police would like to speak to a woman they believe was the first person on the scene of the crash. Any witnesses are requested to contact Nelson police on 546 3840.

The victim and the arrested man are believed to be known to each other, but police are not commenting on their relationship.

The arrested man was due to appear in the Nelson District Court at 2.15pm.

This morning the house in Nile St remained taped off as police continued a homicide inquiry.

Nelson man Nicholas Knight, 18, was on the scene about 8.50pm last night when officers from the armed offenders squad stormed into a property in Nile St. He told the Nelson Mail this morning it was "intense".

Mr Knight said he was trying to get to his friends who live in Harper St, but was stopped by police. He heard a woman screaming, and said she sounded angry and upset.

"I heard this chick screaming and crying and I knew something was really bad," Mr Knight said. "She just sounded really distressed. Obviously something pretty bad had happened."

Mr Knight said the scene was "disturbing".

He later saw dog squads and emergency services arrive.

The property was then cordoned off and traffic was prevented from entering the street.

A car, which later crashed in Whakatu Drive and which police believe is related to the stabbing, has been seized.

Detective Senior Sergeant Wayne McCoy said police were not looking for anyone else in relation to the death.

He said officers were yet to fully interview the suspect and charges had not yet been laid.

Police had spoken to about a dozen people last night and inquiries would continue today.

Police would speak to people who saw the crash in Whakatu Drive or who were in the vicinity of the crash at the time or arrived shortly after it happened.

Police would also be talking to people at the house.

A forensic examination of the Nile St crime scene was on hold as police Environmental Science and Research scientists were delayed by fog in Christchurch.

A Nelson person said on Facebook from Australia the arrested man was his best friend, and while his friend had some problems it was not an excuse for what he had done.

An elderly neighbour in Nile St, who did not want to be named, said: "I heard people discussing things vigorously. I thought things were perfectly in control with maybe one person upset. There wasn't even shouting except for that one person."

Bill Hobbs lived in the house for 30 years. He sold it around three months ago. The Nelson Mail understands the new owners had rented it to someone else. The new owner of the house did not want to comment this morning.

"It's a nice house," Mr Hobbs said. "Peace and quiet, I would have thought."

Penelope Kempthorne who also lives in Nile St said she had seen an older couple going in and out of the house over the last three months. She had not heard anything last night.

Nile and Harper streets were open this morning. There were two police guards at the house.

The Nelson Mail