Compost bin sparks fire
An Atawhai resident was forced to battle an unexpected blaze at his home when a compost bin spontaneously combusted.
Nelson Fire Service station officer Darren Shackleton said a passer-by noticed the fire at about 11.30pm on Saturday and informed the nearest resident.
The resident attempted to fight the fire by himself before calling the fire service, who took around 40 minutes to put out the vegetation fire.
By the time they arrived, it had spread to some trees and grown to cover an area of around 15 square metres.
Around 2am on Saturday morning, fire service and Nelson Police also attended an incident on QEII Drive where a motor vehicle had come off the road onto the mud flats.
Nobody was injured.
A police spokesperson said charges were likely to be laid.
- © Fairfax NZ News