Sex abuser was leader of Scouts

Last updated 12:00 07/12/2013

Relevant offers

A man found guilty of 13 sex offences against two girls was a Scout leader awarded for good service.

A jury found Glenn Davies, 44, from Whangarei, guilty yesterday after a week-long trial in the Nelson District Court. He is now in custody awaiting sentencing on February 10.

Scouting NZ has now stripped him of his warrant.

The offences occurred 15 years ago against two sisters but now their family is concerned because the man has been involved in scouting.

"Our concern is that he has been in a position around young people.

"We are worried there may be girls out there who could be struggling," the father of the victims said.

Davies is listed on Scouts New Zealand's website as the contact person for Whangarei Combined Venturers. He is also listed as receiving a Medal of Merit Award in this year's Founder's Day Awards. The medal recognises at least 10 years' good service.

Scouts NZ chief executive Niamh Lawless was unaware of the offending until yesterday.

After learning of Davies convictions, she immediately cancelled his warrant.

She said Davies had been a frontline leader but had not been actively involved for 18 months.

Immediate support would be available to the group he had most recently been involved with. Scouts NZ had a tight, clear admission process involving police checks, interviews at local level and character references for adults who would be role models for youth, she said.

The father said until yesterday Davies did not have a criminal conviction that would have alerted the scouting organisation. While the offending had happened in a domestic situation, he was still concerned.

"I think the public needs to be aware and everyone who had kids in Scouts he was involved needs to check their girls."

Davies had denied the charges which included having an unlawful sexual connection with a girl under 12, and indecently assaulting girls under 12 and females aged between 12 and 16. The jury found him guilty on all 13 charges.

The father believed the case had been shifted from Whangarei to keep it out of the public eye.

Defence lawyer Arthur Fairley, of Whangarei, said he had not sought to have the case moved. The Crown had because the offending happened in the Nelson region.

Ad Feedback

- The Nelson Mail

Special offers
Opinion poll

Does Nelson deserve to be classed as a city?

Yes

No

Don't know/Don't care

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content