Five hospitalised after crash

23:26, Jan 01 2014
Five young people were taken to hospital after their car rolled

As holidaymakers were enjoying the festive cheer on New Year's Day, emergency services attended to a crash involving five people and one car on the Shenandoah Highway, south of Murchison.

At approximately 2.45pm yesterday, fire services, police, St John Ambulance and helicopter services attended the scene of a crash where a five-occupant vehicle rolled when it left the road while travelling south.

A 17-year-old female and 17-year-old male, both from Christchurch were treated at the scene for moderate injuries before being flown to Nelson Hospital by the Nelson Marlborough Rescue Helicopter.

Emergency services gather to take the five young people to hospital after their car rolled

A further patient was flown to Nelson Hospital by the NZCC Greymouth Rescue Helicopter, while the two remaining injured were taken by road in a St John ambulance.

Four of the five were treated and discharged while the last remains in a stable condition in the surgical ward at Nelson Hospital.

Nelson Marlborough Rescue duty pilot Duncan Gourley said the vehicle was in "pretty bad shape" when they arrived and the occupants were lucky not to suffer worse injuries.


Meanwhile, earlier that day, at 11.46am, a 54-year-old Hawera man suffered a head injury after slipping and falling on a boat at Torrent Bay in the Abel Tasman National Park.

He was assessed at the scene before being flown to Nelson Hospital for further treatment. He is in a stable condition.

The Nelson Marlborough Rescue Helicopter also attended two incidents on New Year's Eve, the first at 9.20pm when a woman in her 50s suffered a medical emergency in Bulwer in the outer Pelorus Sounds and was taken to Nelson Hospital.

At 11.46pm, a 24-year-old Blenheim man suffered critical spinal injuries following a crash from a moped vehicle in Robin Hood Bay, Port Underwood.

He was assessed at the scene by the helicopter's onboard intensive care paramedic before being flown to Wairau Hospital, Blenheim for further assessment. He was admitted to their high dependency unit before being transferred to Christchurch general hospital yesterday morning.

The Nelson Hospital duty nurse manager said there were 109 presentations at the hospital in the 24-hour period from midnight on New Year's Eve.

"We always expect a large number of presentations at New Year's," she said.