Man burnt using fire accelerant

SASHA BORISSENKO
Last updated 13:00 13/01/2014

Relevant offers

A Takaka man was standing beside a bonfire when he squirted an accelerant into the flames, which spat back on to his arms and legs causing serious burns.

The 32-year-old man was with friends standing around the open fire on Friday night when the "petrol-like substance" blew back on to him, a Nelson Marlborough Rescue Helicopter spokesperson said.

It was a foolish thing to do, he said.

The rescue helicopter arrived at the scene at midnight, attended to his serious burns and flew him to the Hutt Hospital burns unit in a stable condition.

On Saturday morning, a 60-year-old woman suffered an intense allergic reaction in Sunday Bay on Forsyth Island.

The allergic reaction was unexpected and the woman had never suffered allergic reactions previously, the rescue helicopter spokesperson said.

She was flown to Nelson Hospital where she was treated and discharged.

Meanwhile, a 7-year-old Takaka boy fell off a swing and landed heavily on hard ground and fractured his arm.

Another Takaka boy, aged 2, accidentally fell from a deck and fractured his arm later that day.

Both boys were initially assessed at the Golden Bay Medical Centre, before being flown to Nelson Hospital for further assessment.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should the Nelson City Council spend up to $500,000 to fix the modellers' pond at Tahunanui?

Yes - It's worth every penny

No - The money would be better spent elsewhere

Dont' know/don't care

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content