Threats, breaches lead to prison term

00:00, Jan 17 2014

A man who threatened to put a bullet in the brain of his former partner has been sent to prison.

Adam Hugh Neal Taylor, 32, appeared in the Nelson District Court yesterday and was sentenced to 15 months in prison for threatening to kill and cause grievous bodily harm to his ex-partner, and two breaches of a protection order.

The threatening to kill charge and the first protection order breach related to an incident on October 31 last year, when Taylor mentioned to a Care Solutions Nelson staff member that on numerous occasions he could have and should have killed his ex-partner.

He discovered where the victim was going to be one specific weekend, and told the same staff member that he was going to put a bullet in her brain.

Taylor also pleaded guilty to breaching a protection order on May 1 last year, when he gave a loaf of bread, slippers, a plastic bag containing $30, and a note containing his address and a photograph of himself to his daughter to give to his ex-partner.

He told police that the items were for his daughter and the money was for the victim to use to pay for petrol.


Defence lawyer Michael Vesty said Taylor wrote a letter while in custody explaining that he had attended an anger management course and parenting course of his own volition. He had since moved past blaming others and was looking to the future.

Mr Vesty said Taylor was a blunt and honest person and the letter was genuine.

He said Taylor had not seen his daughter for a considerable period of time, and had never met his newborn second child, which he found extremely distressing.

The mother of his two children planned to move to Australia, and Taylor frequently talked about missing his daughter, Mr Vesty said.

Judge Tony Zohrab said the letter was a great start but he doubted the genuineness of Taylor's intentions.

It was one thing to talk the talk but quite another to walk the walk, he said.

Judge Zohrab said prison was the only option, given Taylor's extensive history of violence and his unwillingness to comply with court orders.

The anger management course was a good way forward, however, he said. "Let's hope for your sake, your children's sake and the community's sake that you continue these intentions."

Taylor was sentenced to a total of 15 months in prison, the lead charge being threatening to kill.