Exhibition remembers the quakes
An exhibition on the Canterbury earthquakes at the Nelson Provincial Museum highlights the physical forces involved in the disaster and the human response.
Canterbury Quakes was put together by the Canterbury Museum, first opening a year after the magnitude 6.3 earthquake that hit Christchurch on February 22, 2011 killing 185 people.
It opened at the Nelson Museum today and will run until June.
The exhibition features models, digital tools, video footage of first-person accounts, and hundreds of photographs.
Nelson Museum chief executive Peter Millward said pieces had been added to reflect Nelson's involvement with the disaster.
"The quite amazing thing about Nelson is that within 24 hours of the major quake, there are nearly 100 Nelson men and women on the ground in Christchurch."
Museum supporter Paul Blackham was one Nelson resident who went to Christchurch as part of the Nelson-based New Zealand Response Team 2 following the 2011 shake. His disaster suit and helmet stand in the hallway outside the exhibition.
Besides the emergency response, Mr Millward said Christchurch residents fled to Nelson in large numbers immediately after the quake. He met many Christchurch school children as they visited the museum on school trips.
"It was very common to find that about 10 per cent of the class was from Christchurch."
The exhibition is free for Nelson residents and $5 for adults from outside the region.
- The Nelson Mail
Which of the two options for the proposed Rocks Rd upgrade do you prefer?Related story: (See story)