Council urged to back centre

CHARLOTTE SQUIRE
Last updated 12:58 14/03/2014

Relevant offers

Supporters of the proposed Golden Bay Recreation Centre have asked their community board to throw its weight in behind getting the shared facility back onto the council's Annual Plan.

Secretary of the Golden Bay Shared Recreation Facility Incorporated Society Jenny Pomeroy spoke to the Golden Bay Community Board this week and asked it to make a submission to the Tasman District Council supporting the centre, or at the very least, to include an expression of support in their general submission to the Annual Plan.

The council proposes deleting the facility from its draft annual plan, saying it will be reconsidered through the 2015 Long Term Plan process.

Mrs Pomeroy asked the board to request that the full amount of $3.7 million, as was suggested in the Long Term Plan, be allocated for the centre.

"There is no question that it is urgently needed and we now have the energy, enthusiasm, and groundwork in place."

She said groundwork included the plans, feasibility study, public consultation, some funding streams they'd secured "which could expire".

"While we are not insensitive to the issues surrounding council debt and the need to reduce this, we still see this as a priority project, with the direct interest of over 1500 members in the 30 user groups and a benefit to whole of the Bay's population," she said.

Community Board chairwoman Carolyn McLellan said she was "very, very hopeful" that the recreation centre would get back onto the Annual Plan.

The society's chairman, Dean Lund, said he was inspired by the response from the community so far.

"Just the submissions that have been made on the concept plan, the support and enthusiasm around, that's been very encouraging. We've got to maintain that and keep these people interested and get them to submit to the Annual Plan," he said.

Submissions to the Annual Plan will close on April 15.

Ad Feedback

- Nelson

Comments

Special offers
Opinion poll

Which of the two options for the proposed Rocks Rd upgrade do you prefer?

Option one

Option two

Neither - plans should be put on hold until a decision is made on the Southern Link

Vote Result

Related story: (See story)

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content