Barbecue explosion burns boy

MICHAEL FORBES
Last updated 23:25 28/01/2013

Relevant offers

Motueka-Golden Bay

Man in $80,000 drug bust pleads not guilty Cafe becomes winter studio Bay turns out for health meeting Summit planned to give Motueka direction Hub concept still on table but public's cash needed Coastal Classic on mag's world top 50 Golden Bay's short, sweet film competiton Mayor: We can't do everything everywhere Risk to no-nuke status alleged Kayaker joins search for missing craft

A 12-year-old Motueka boy was burnt in the face, back and arms when a barbecue he was cooking on exploded.

Ambulance communications spokesman Bruce Chubb said the boy suffered superficial burns to about 10 per cent of his upper body when the incident occurred near Kaiteriteri Beach about 8pm.

It was understood a ‘‘leaky’’ gas cylinder caused the explosion, he said.

The Nelson Marlborough Rescue Helicopter airlifted the boy from the Kaiteriteri Camping Ground to Nelson Hospital in a moderate condition.

He was treated on-board by an intensive care paramedic.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content