Trophy hopefuls rack up the runs

Luke Toynbee laid a genuine claim for the club innings of the season by smashing an explosive unbeaten century in his team's 167-run win over Renwick on Saturday.

Batting at No 7, the Athletic College Old Boys skipper blasted 101 runs off just 49 balls as his team posted a massive 310 for 7 in their Kelvin Scoble Trophy one-day match at the Botanics.

His innings included nine fours and six sixes, and although dropped on 94, Toynbee reached his century with a six over midwicket off the last ball of the innings.

The allrounder's spectacular effort overshadowed another significant contribution from B J Barnett, who scored 82 runs off 65 balls, including 10 fours and three sixes, with their brisk 111-run sixth-wicket partnership ultimately taking the contest beyond Guthrie Bowron Renwick's reach.

Barnett had earlier put on 57 runs with Joel Harden (37) for the fourth wicket before Toynbee's arrival at 143 for 5 dramatically altered the course of the match.

Renwick bowler Ricki Bovey's return of 1-28 off his 10 overs proved respectable under the circumstances, although Renwick's batsmen could only muster 143 runs in reply before they were dismissed in the 43rd over.

Opener Adeel Shafique (28), Bovey (18), George Kenny (22) and Richard Marshall (26) made starts but without establishing any significant partnerships or momentum as ACOB's bowlers comfortably secured the win.

Plenty of runs were also scored at Victory Square, where Car Company Stoke-Nayland chased down their 270-run target against home team Randles Cafe and Bar Wakatu with four wickets and an over to spare.

In reply to Wakatu's 269 for 7, Ben Homan led the chase with 79 runs, joining Jake Beleski in a profitable 102-run opening partnership. Beleski contributed 44 runs, hitting eight fours and a six.

Homan added a further 75 runs with Darius Skeaping (47) for the second wicket before he edged Malcolm Mitchell in the 34th over, having hit 11 fours. An unbeaten 37 from Mo Taylor, including five fours and a six, helped to steer Stoke-Nayland to victory.

Matt Macquet had earlier dominated Wakatu's innings with a well-compiled 88, hitting 13 fours and three sixes before he was caught off the bowling of Daniel Phillips at 178 for 4 in the 36th over.

He'd added 130 runs with opener Mark Gill (42) in their third-wicket partnership, while Campbell McLean (35) and an unbroken 22-run eighth-wicket stand by Kelvin Scoble (25 not out) and Mark Davies (17 not out) provided the other major contributions.

Phillips finished with 3-43 as Stoke-Nayland's leading wicket taker, as Skeaping (2-46) and an economical Mitchell Ross (2-20) lent support.

An unbeaten 55-run partnership between Bryan Krammer and Dylan Phillips helped to ease Sprig and Fern Tavern Motueka to their 198-run target against Taylor's Contracting Wanderers at Brightwater.

Krammer finished on 52 not out and Phillips 40 not out when Phillips smashed consecutive sixes off Joe O'Connor in the 41st over of their reply to secure a comfortable six-wicket win at 199 for 4.

Former Nelson representative captain Dave Leonard had topscored with 73 runs in Wanderers' innings of 197 as the home team were dismissed in the 47th over.

Leonard added 30 runs with son Adam (30) for the third wicket, before a 69-run partnership between Leonard and Jack White appeared to be giving the innings some crucial momentum.

But at 139 for 3, White's dismissal for 32 sparked a late decline which saw Wanderers' last seven wickets fall for just 58 runs.

Leonard finally went lbw to Dan Rae (2-32), having hit eight fours, although Karl Mytton emerged as Motueka's leading wicket taker with 4-43 off his 10 overs.

At 42 for 3 in Motueka's reply, a 102-run fourth-wicket stand between Mark Gardiner and Krammer provided the necessary impetus.

Gardiner went for 66 at 144 for 4, having hit 11 fours and two sixes, leaving Krammer and Phillips to comfortably see the victory through.

At Horton Park in Blenheim, Harrington's Beer Cafe Waimea Toi Toi United completed a comprehensive seven-wicket win over Biddy Kates Celtic after dismissing the home team for just 69.

After losing the toss and being sent in on a wicket offering just enough assistance to the WTTU seamers, the home team capitulated to be all out in the 23rd over.

First-change right-armer Symon Carr was WTTU's chief destroyer, taking 5-19 from eight penetrating overs.

The in-form Greg Hay hit an unbeaten 38 as WTTU chased down their meagre target in just 15.1 overs.

Earlier, the alarm bells were ringing almost immediately for Celtic as both openers fell with just six runs on the board.

Chris Gibb and Josh Poole put together a 29-run third-wicket stand before Gibb (4) was skittled shouldering arms to a Carr delivery that seamed back from well outside off-stump.

Poole counter-attacked with five boundaries to try to turn the momentum. However, Carr continued to take wickets at the other end, and when he removed Poole (27) at 49 for 6, the writing was on the wall.

A further 20 runs were added before Leath Armstrong gobbled up a return catch hit by Elliot Robinson to bring the Celtic innings to an end.

Celtic skipper McLennan bowled opener Steve Binnie at 18-1. Craig Ingham (12) and Mason Thelin (4) also came and went, but it was too little, too late as Hay stroked seven fours to ease WTTU to a bonus-point victory.

The Nelson Mail