Fire station burns after cooking mishap

Last updated 12:26 30/01/2009

Relevant offers

A blaze broke out at a Japanese fire station after a firefighter left a cooking stove burning as crew members left the station to respond to emergency calls.

Most of the duty staffers were out on a call when their colleague, alone at the station and cooking dinner for the crew, was himself called out.

In his haste to respond to the call, he forgot to turn the stove off, said Seiji Hori, a Nagoya City Fire Department official.

Ten fire trucks from other stations put out the fire, Hori added.

"We are an institute that should be in a position to educate people about fire, so we are extremely sorry that such an incident happened," Hori said, adding that they would consider ordering-in for dinner from now on.

Ad Feedback

- Reuters

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content