Quote of the Year 2016: MP's witty comeback to homophobic slurs
A witty response to Destiny Church leader Brian Tamaki's homophobic slurs has won Massey University's Quote of the Year 2016.
Tamaki caused widespread outrage last month after he told his congregation that gay people and sinners are to blame for earthquakes.
He said this the day before a 7.8-magnitude quake struck central New Zealand, on November 14.
The winning quote was a response from Green MP Denise Roche: "Sex just can't be that good."
* List of 2016 quote of the year finalists unveiled
* Schoolboy Jake Bailey wins 2015 quote of the year
* Whale Oil blogger Cameron Slater wins quote of 2014
With 26 per cent of the vote, she pipped a quote from Rachel MacGregor, former press secretary to ex*Conservative Party leader Colin Craig.
Craig was forced to pay MacGregor more than $128,000 after portraying her as a "mistress, trouble maker, mentally unwell, a liar, and a blackmailer". It was the highest sum the Human Rights Review Tribunal has awarded for emotional harm.
MacGregor's quote? "In the beginning I really admired Colin. It was only as time went on that I realised he was a douche bag."
Dr Heather Kavan, Massey speech-writing lecturer, said it was interesting almost half of the votes went to two women who, in different contexts, challenged conservative leaders.
"Neither Roche nor MacGregor were seeking the limelight," Kavan said in a statement. "Roche was answering a journalist's question on the spot and MacGregor was a witness in a court case."
Both comments were witty and funny, she said.
This year's top quotes were in stark contrast to last year's winner, from high school student Jake Bailey.
Bailey, 18, won 77 per cent of the vote in 2015 with his inspirational speech on being diagnosed with fast-growing Burkitts non-Hodgkinson lymphoma.
QUOTE OF THE YEAR 2016 FINALISTS:
1. "Sex just can't be that good."
– Green MP Denise Roche when asked about Brian Tamaki's statements that homosexuality causes earthquakes.
2. "In the beginning I really admired Colin. It was only as time went on that I realised he was a douche bag."
– Rachel MacGregor testifying at Colin Craig's defamation trial.
3. "I do name a lot of my animals as an insurance policy, because if you name a chicken Meryl Streep, in all fairness, you can't eat Meryl Streep."
– Sam Neill explaining his animals' names on The Graham Norton Show.
4. "You can tell that she's a negotiator. I've never won an argument with her in my life."
– Dylan Kelly describing his mother, the late Union leader Helen Kelly.
5. "You're a clever cow to skip and dance while the land beneath you is disappearing down the hill."
– Farmer Derrick Milton after helping to rescue three cows stranded by the Kaikoura earthquake.
6. "All I can say is that I gave it everything I had. I left nothing in the tank."
– Prime Minister John Key announcing his sudden resignation.
7. "If Americans were given a choice, they would have a gun on their flag."
– Comedian Matt Stellingwerf at the Billy T James 2016 Stand up Comedy Awards.
8. "I may be short, Mr Brownlee, but at least I could sing."
– Ray Columbus' response to Gerry Brownlee's criticism of him, to be printed after Columbus's death, quoted by Vicki Anderson.
9. "You want a nose job? Well I'm going to give you one."
– Bella Henry before fighting Naz Khanjani from The Bachelor in the ring.
10. "A haka would have provoked them, they wouldn't understand what it means, and these guys are looking at any reason to take a shot at us."
– Kereama Te Ua after delivering a stirring haka during protests against the Dakota Access pipeline at Standing Rock.