Vacuum commits stovetop suicide

WELL THAT SUCKS: The charred remains of the depressed robot vacuum cleaner which parked itself on an element. The blaze has left its owners homeless and without a vacuum.
WELL THAT SUCKS: The charred remains of the depressed robot vacuum cleaner which parked itself on an element. The blaze has left its owners homeless and without a vacuum.

A vacuum robot has apparently had enough of the housework and committed suicide by parking itself on a stovetop.

Firemen were called to a house in Austria where a fire had been started after the gadget somehow switched itself on and made a run for the stove, the Daily Mail reported.

Fire officer Helmut Kniewasser told the Daily Star the incident started with an upset breakfast.

"The home-owner had put the small robot on the work surface to clean up some spilled cereal," he said.

"Once the robot had done its job it was switched off but left on the kitchen sideboard,'' he said.

"Somehow it seems to have reactivated itself and made its way along the work surface where it pushed a cooking pot out of the way and basically that was the end of it.

"It pretty quickly started to melt underneath and then stuck to the kitchen hotplate. It then caught fire. By the time we arrived, it was just a pile of ash.

Homeowner Gernot Hackl said the family had to move out the house.

"It has ruined my home as everything is smoke damaged. Everything is black. It's not possible to live here at the moment."

He intended to sue the company for compensation.

Stuff