Another major blaze in Gore
Gore firefighters are dealing with their third major fire after a business caught alight late this afternoon.
More than 25 firefighters were at the Ngai Tahu te Runanga O Hokonui in Charlton Rd, Gore, fighting a fire that started in a workshop.
Runanga chairman Rewi Anglem said he was devastated by the fire.
Anglem was in the kitchen with a few other people when he heard smoke alarms go off about 3.30pm.
"We came outside and saw the fire.
"We are devastated," he said.
The headquarters was worth an estimated $1 million. The fire started in a workshop, but with smoke billowing throughout the damage would be extensive.
He believed the cause of the fire might be electrical, and said no one was in the workshop at the time of the fire.
"We are all in shock it happened so fast," he said.
Cars had backed up along Charlton Rd, and a sizeable crowd had gathered to watch.
It is the third large fire in Gore in recent weeks.
In April the Livestock Supplies Ltd was destroyed in a fire and police are dealing with a suspicious fire that totalled a building at East Gore School earlier this month.
- The Southland Times
Contact details for The Southland Times and community newspapers.
Order copies of images taken by Southland Times photographers.
Read our free publications online.
Win with us!
Click here for subscriber news and information.
How much food do you waste?Related story: Southlanders waste food