Sports Roundup

21:33, Jun 11 2012

Welcome to our sports roundup section, where we bring you updates as to what is happening in the southern sporting scene through the weekend.

NZ Indoor Bowls Championships

Twenty-two Southlanders have qualified for the post section play in the singles competition at the New Zealand Indoor Bowls Championships being held in Invercargill.

Southland Qualifiers: Neil Lawson, Murray Pickett, Allan Henderson, Mark Knight, John Nieborg, Neville Buckingham, Bruce Lamb, Stephen Langley, BJ Simpson, Sheldon Bagrie-Howley, Brian Hotton, Greg Heads, Mervyn Ryder, Tony Cabral, Holly Russell, Gary Low, Graham Low, Warwick Gray, Craig Whiteside, Brent Keen, Peter Carnie, Elaine Carnie.

SI Squash Open

So far so good for the seeded players at the South Island Squash Championships in Invercargill.


The top four seeds are through to the semifinals in both the men's and women's open draws, with all eight players winning their first two matches 3-0.

Top seed Joelle King has led the charge into the last four in the women's draw, despite an arduous seven and a half hour drive from Christchurch on Thursday due to flight cancellations caused by snow.  King swept aside Southlander Katie Fairweather 11-3, 11-1, 11-3 in the opening round and backed it up with an 11-2, 11-3, 11-4 demolition of another local, Deb Shirley, in the quarterfinals.

Second seed Rachel McLeod was similarly impressive in her two wins over Southland's Casey Howat and Otago's Angela Button, while third seed Holly Donnelly and fourth seeded Tanya Colyer were largely untroubled in their opening two matches.

It was a similar situation in the men's draw, with top seed Martin Knight also shrugging off the unscheduled road trip with King to knock over Otago's Ali Harris 11-5, 11-7, 11-6 before racking up an 11-8, 11-6, 11-6 victory over Southlander Simon Budd.

Second seed Campbell Grayson, third seed Lance Beddoes and fourth seed Shawn Madden also had reasonably straight forward wins in their opening two rounds.


Women Round One:

1)Joelle King (Waikato) def Katie Fairweather (Southland) 11-3, 11-1, 11-3 Deb Shirley (Southland) def Emily Flett (Southland) 11-4, 11-6, 11-9 Sam Cross (Otago) def Lily Culbertson (Southland) 12-10, 11-3, 11-9 4)Tanya Colyer (Southland) def Leanne Hull (Southland) 11-2, 11-3, 11-5 3)Holly Donnelly (Auckland) def Heather White (Southland)  11-2, 11-2, 11-8 Debbie Sykes (Southland) def Macey Karsten (Southland)  11-6, 11-3, 11-6 Angela Button (Otago) def Julie Cournane (Southland) 11-5, 11-7, 11-3 2)Rachel McLeod (Auckland) def Casey Howat (Southland) 11-1, 11-1, 11-2 Quarterfinals 1)Joelle King (Waikato) def Deb Shirley (Southland) 11-2, 11-3, 11-4 4)Tanya Colyer (Southland) def Sam Cross (Otago) 11-6, 11-4, 11-9 3)Holly Donnelly (Auckland) def Debbie Sykes (Southland) 11-4, 11-6, 11-8 2)Rachel McLeod (Auckland) def Angela Button (Otago) 11-2, 11-5, 11-5

Men Round One:

1)Martin Knight (Auckland) def Ali Harris (Otago) 11-5, 11-7, 11-6 Simon Budd (Southland) def Carl Tiplady (Southland) 11-7, 11-8, 11-2 Adrian Mennell (Southland) def Rachel McLeod (Auckland) 11-3, 11-8, 11-5 4)Shaun Madden (Southland) def Rod Askin (Otago) 11-3, 11-1, 11-2 3)Lance Beddoes (Auckland) def Russell Brocks (Canterbury) 11-1, 11-0, 11-2 Marty McKelvie (Southland) def Neil McAra (Southland) 14-12, 9-11, 7-11, default (injury) Nick Askin (Otago) def Tony Wills (Southland) 11-7, 5-11, 11-9, 14-12 2)Campbell Grayson (Auckland) def Josh Parkhill (Southland) 11-4, 11-3, 11-4 Quarterfinals 1)Martin Knight (Auckland) def Simon Budd (Southland) 11-8, 11-6, 11-6 4)Shaun Madden (Southland) def Adrian Mennell (Southland) 11-3, 11-5, 11-1 3)Lance Beddoes (Auckland) def Marty McKelvie (Southland) 11-4, 11-4, 12-10 2)Campbell Grayson (Auckland) def Nick Askin (Otago) 11-5, 11-4, 11-3

Division One Club Rugby

Waiau Star dominated their match against DLS but the visitors managed to steal a 23–21 point win.

Waiau made the better start and were rewarded after ten minutes with a penalty goal. DLS hit back with a try to second five Jack Maguire from a well worked back move. Waiau winger Matthew Egerton was next to score and a Blane DeVries penalty made it 11-5.

DLS scored twice in the five minutes before halftime through fullback Tony Kincaid and first five Nathan Milne to lead 15-11.

Milne scored again soon after the break but Waiau owned the next 30 minutes with their superior fitness and ability to recycle the ball for numerous phases. Waiau were leading 21-20 with just minutes remaining when Dan McIlwrick snapped drop goal to win the game.

Waiau Star were unlucky not to win this game, but their bonus point does keep them in second place. First five Jimmy Ferris and dual try scorer Matt Egerton had strong games.

Goal kicking and line out woes continue to be a problem for DLS.

Edendale held off a spirited Rversdale side 20–15 at Pioneer Park. Riversdale dominated the first quarter but Edendale managed to score a couple of good tries to Bram Fodie and Jeremy McLeod. Riversdale did score a converted try but the home side led 15-7 at half time.

Aaron Kimura dictated play for the visitors in the third quarter with his tactical punting, his try set up an exciting last quarter. Riversdale continued to exert pressure but it was the favourites who were next to score. With time running out Kimura kicked a penalty goal to salvage a well deserved bonus point for Riversdale.

Waikiwi came away from Te Anau with a 23-10 win. In beautiful conditions at the lakeside ground it was Dan Hall who was first to score for the locals. Waikiwi landed a goal son after, then a try to Kiel McPhee put the visitors ahead 10-3 just before halftime.

Te Anau scored a try in the third quarter but Waikiwi finished the game strongly.

Mataura beat Waikaka 25-8 in the curtain raiser to the Barbarians versus Midlands game at Tulloch Park.


Division two club rugby


Competition heavyweight Bluff was given the fright of its life when it had to pull out all the stops to
overhaul Gore hosts Pioneer 26-24 in a division two cliff hanger at Gore today.

Bluff looked all done and dusted a few minutes into the second half when Pioneer had raced to a big 24-
0 lead. Pioneer looked all set to bring about the boil over of the season.

But to its credit, the big and experienced Bluff players got their act together, threw away complacency
and set about with composure to form structure and confidence. Bluff certainly got its act together and
had to do that, otherwise it would have been well and truly knocked off its pedestal.

Bluff captain Heath Lawson suspected after that complacency might have accounted for the dismal first
half showing with Bluff 17 points in arrears at the break.

"It felt as if we were flat with jet lag or something, or you could say we were very slack,'' Lawson said.

"We started to play as a team when the situation was serious and we then got the wood on them.''

Coach Gavin Hickey was delighted with his gutsy and enterprising Pioneer team that went within an
ace of toppling competition leader Bluff that has been rated as virtually unbeatable as the 19 teams get
down to the serious race for the playoffs.

Hickey praised Bluff for the strength of its fight back when it dominated possession and shut down
Pioneer in the last 35 minutes.

"Bluff's bigger forwards came through well and denied us of possession and the ability to remain

In one of the most tense and even encounters of the day, hosts Wyndham, second in the competition,
fought out a thrilling 12-12 draw with Central Pirates in a nail biter that could have gone either way at
the drop of a hat. Mark McCallum's sideline conversion with only two minutes remaining locked the
game all up.

Wyndham assistant manager Nathan Sutton commended Central Pirates for "taking it to us with
effective rolling mauls.''

"We were a little fortunate to grab an opportunist try when Dean Rabbage snatched a ball and set up
Campbell Thompson for a vital try.

Central Pirates coach Brad Anderson said he was thrilled to share the honours with Wyndham that had
gone into the game as second to Bluff on the points table. Anderson said that was perhaps a reflection
on the even nature of the big competition.

Coaches and managers have been saying for some time that the competition is up for grabs and the race
to the play offs will be intense.

Marist posted its fifth win from eight games with a sterling 16-13 victory over hosts Star (two tries each).

The big Star forwards made it difficult in set pieces but the determination and mobility of the Marist
pack evened the score and complexion of the tight and hard fought game.

Premier Club Rugby

Formers Stags back Pehi Te Whare dotted down twice to help Blues to a 18-6 win over Marist in Southland premier grade club rugby action today.

Te Whare has joined Blues to help them out which now takes it to four premier clubs in Southland he has played for.

The former New Zealand Maori player has previously turned out for the Eastern Hawks, Marist, Woodlands and now is trying is hand with Blues.

He lined up at centre for Blues today in what was a crunch game for both teams with the log jam on the competition points table.

To highlight just how tight it is and how important today's fixture was, the loss meant Marist dropped from third to fifth in the standings.

Te Whare opened the scoring in the seventh minute with a try and 10 minutes later that Blues lead was stretched out to 8-nil when Nicky Herbert landed a long range penalty.

It was followed up soon after with Marist's first points of the afternoon when first five-eigth Jackson Wallace landed a penalty.

When Isaac Fluery nudged another three pointer for Marist close to halftime the visitors looked very much in the contest and set to mount a reasonable shot at victory in the second stanza.

Especially with Blues reduced to 14 men when veteran looseforward Mike Wilkins was shown the yellow card for slowing the ball at a ruck.

However as the game wore on Blues started to dominate upfront and especially when it come to scrum time.
Marist were back pedaling and they never had good enough ball to launch any decent attack from.

Te Whare scored his second try and when Wilkins found himself in the open to score a try it pushed the score out to 18-6 and that was the game.

Flanker Daniel Townson in his 150th game for the club and Richard Kamaru in his 100th in the Blues jersey, both had strong games.

In other Southland premier club fixtures played today Woodlands defended the Challenge Cup with a 18-13 win over Pirates-Old Boys while the Eastern-Northern Barbarians continued their good debut season beating Midlands 21-13 at Mataura.

Star had the bye.

In the other game of the round, Queens Park were triumphant over Southend United 4-nil.

Highlanders First XV Rugby

Waitaki Boys' maintained their 100 per cent record in the Highlanders First XV rugby competition with an emphatic 40-7 victory over South Otago in Balclutha today.

The Oamaru school have won won seven from seven in the competition and sit second in the standings behind first placed Otago Boys' High, who also remain unbeaten.

Otago Boys' were too strong for Menzies College in Dunedin, winning 70-3.

James Hargest College still remain without a win this season, after losing 22-10 to St Kevin's College in Invercargill. The game was there for the taking early in the second half, but James Hargest conceded two tries while St Kevin's had a man away in the sinbin to build a handy advantage.

Dunstan High were beaten by a 3-nil scoreline for the second time this season, losing to John McGlashan College in Dunedin. Dunstan applied plenty of pressure late in the game, but were unable to break through some outstanding John McGlashan defence.

Gore High's resurgence continued with a 40-7 victory over Kavanagh College in Gore. The win was Gore High's  fourth consecutive victory.

RESULTS: Gore High 40, Kavanagh 7; John McGlashan 3, Dunstan 0; Otago Boys' 70 Menzies College 3; St Kevin's 22, James Hargest College 10; Waitaki Boys' 40 South Otago 7.

Club Football

Donald Gray Cup competition leaders Old Boys were held to a 2-2 draw by the Youth Academy at the ILT Turf today.

Old Boys whipped the Academy 9-nil earlier in the season, but the Academy showed huge improvement against them today and went into halftime up 1-nil through a Jack Borland goal.

Old Boys replied early in the second half thanks to a Jeremy Dix strike, before player-coach Barry Gardiner put the Youth Academy back up 2-1 with 20 minutes remaining. Old Boys snatched a late equaliser through Scott McKenzie to bag a share of the spoils.

A penalty from Keith Hawkes with 10 minutes remaining has seen Thistle register a 1-1 draw Waihopai at Surrey Park.

Nathan Singh gave Waihopai the lead late in the first half after popping up in the penalty area and finishing nicely past Thistle keeper Paul Monteith.

Golf - St Andrews Links Trophy

Masterton amateur Ben Campbell is the best of the Kiwis as the New Zealand contingent got off to a disappointing start at the St Andrews Links Trophy in Scotland.

Campbell, the New Zealand No2 who is looking to find some form ahead of the Eisenhower Trophy in October, carded a one over par 72 in round one at the New Course to be in a share of 19th place.

He is seven shots back from the leader Daan Huizing of the Netherlands who opened with a six under par 65 to lead by four shots.

The other Kiwis in the field had forgettable rounds at the Home of Golf.

Southland No.1 Vaughan McCall, who finished tied 14th last week at the Carrick Neill Scottish Open Stroke Play Championship at Kilmarnock, carded an eight over par 79 to be tied 121st.

Takaka golfer Blair Riordan is the next best of the Kiwis after Campbell after firing a six over par 77, to be tied 101st followed by Daniel Pearce (78) and Mathew Perry (78) who are both tied 111th.

The Kiwis will need impressive round two scores to make the two round cut at the prestigious amateur event.

The five New Zealand amateurs playing in Scotland are looking for good performances to press their claims for the NZ team to contest the Eisenhower World Team’s Championship in Turkey in September.

The Southland Times