Fire service respond to ammonia leak

Last updated 22:53 25/12/2012

Relevant offers

Two Invercargill firefighters were decontaminated after responding to a reported ammonia leak in Sussex St, before 10pm last night.

A fire communications spokesman said two appliances from Invercargill were called to the Prime Range meat processing plant in Gladstone where crews identified an ammonia leak.

The crews were put on stand-by until the gas valve could be turned-off, he said.

Crew members wearing breathing apparatus and gas suits entered the building and were able to isolate the valves to the ammonia system, the spokesman said.

Fire crews were at the meat processing plant for one-and-a-half hours.

Two firefighters had to be decontaminated at the scene before leaving the site in the hands of the plant's management team, the spokesman said.

Ad Feedback

- Southland

Comments

Stimes strap contact us
Contact us

Contact details for The Southland Times and community newspapers.

photographer, camera
Photo orders

Order copies of images taken by Southland Times photographers.

st strap Communites
Our E-Editions

Read our free publications online.

giveaway
Win with the Times

Win with us!

Stl paper logo
Subscriber services

Click here for subscriber news and information.

Special offers
Opinion poll

Should the fireworks show become an annual event?

I don't see why not. It's a fun, safe way to enjoy a good show.

At $30 it's just another money-making exercise for someone.

Vote Result

Related story: Fireworks might spark regularly in Invercargill

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Daily diversions
Cartoons by Chicane, aka Mark Winter

Quizzes

Today's puzzles

Reviews

Your Family News
Birth notices and anniversaries

Celebrations

View marriage and birth notices from around the region

Death notices

Death Notices

View obituaries from around the region