Two Invercargill firefighters were decontaminated after responding to a reported ammonia leak in Sussex St, before 10pm last night.
A fire communications spokesman said two appliances from Invercargill were called to the Prime Range meat processing plant in Gladstone where crews identified an ammonia leak.
The crews were put on stand-by until the gas valve could be turned-off, he said.
Crew members wearing breathing apparatus and gas suits entered the building and were able to isolate the valves to the ammonia system, the spokesman said.
Fire crews were at the meat processing plant for one-and-a-half hours.
Two firefighters had to be decontaminated at the scene before leaving the site in the hands of the plant's management team, the spokesman said.
Contact details for The Southland Times and community newspapers.
Order copies of images taken by Southland Times photographers.
Read our free publications online.
Win with us!
Click here for subscriber news and information.
Should the fireworks show become an annual event?Related story: Fireworks might spark regularly in Invercargill