Man escapes Kennington fire

Last updated 05:00 03/01/2014

Kennington Store Fire

Kennington fire
HOME GONE: A man identified as Jim Stapleforth watches as the old Kennington store, a building he lived in, burns to the ground on Kennington Rd yesterday

Relevant offers

A former Invercargill mayoral candidate living rough survived a fire that ripped through the place he called home in Kennington on the outskirts of the city.

Several residents identified the man as James "Jim" Stapleforth and said he ran for mayor of Invercargill in 1998.

Records show Mr Stapleforth finished last in the 1998 local elections with 120 votes, well behind Tim Shadbolt, who collected 13,805 votes.

Kennington Rd resident Willie Fraser said Mr Stapleton would have died in the fire if he had not made it out before flames took hold of the old building yesterday.

"He told us he had just put some hot ashes outside then went back inside when everything went dark," Mr Fraser said.

Michael Grantham, another Kennington Rd resident, called 111 after he noticed thick smoke and went to investigate.

It was a relief to see Mr Stapleforth was out of the building but his hair was singed, he said.

One neighbour told The Southland Times Mr Stapleforth had lived there for at least 16 years but stayed there only two or three times a week.

She understood the building had a shower but no electricity or running water and said it was full of books and newspapers.

Mr Stapleforth was well known for riding his bicycle around town and out to Kennington with a big sack on the front, the neighbour said.

After talking to the residents and then firefighters, Mr Stapleforth was taken to Southland Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Yesterday afternoon, Mr Stapleforth told The Southland Times through a medical ward nurse at the hospital he was "comfortable", but declined to comment further.

Fire crews from Invercargill and Wallacetown were called to Kennington Rd at 8.20am.

Invercargill senior station officer Peter Thwaites said the fire could be seen from Invercargill.

When crews arrived they were confronted by flames and plenty of smoke, he said.

Fire crews contained the fire but could not save the old wood and corrugated iron building.

The initial reports received from a resident on Kennington Rd, who called in the fire, said a man stayed in the old store on occasion and was believed to be staying in it when fire engulfed the building, Mr Thwaites said.

When fire crews arrived, they checked to make sure no-one was in the building, he said.

Southern Fire Region fire investigator Mike Cahill said there was no power to the old building but the fire was not being treated as suspicious.

The building had a lot of holes with air moving through the building to help the fire burn and a huge stockpile of old books provided fuel for the fire, Mr Cahill said.

He still had to talk to Mr Stapleforth about how the fire started, he said. 


Ad Feedback

- The Southland Times


Stimes strap contact us
Contact us

Contact details for The Southland Times and community newspapers.

photographer, camera
Photo orders

Order copies of images taken by Southland Times photographers.

st strap Communites
Our E-Editions

Read our free publications online.

Win with the Times

Win with us!

Stl paper logo
Subscriber services

Click here for subscriber news and information.

Special offers
Opinion poll

How much food do you waste?

None - what we don't eat goes to the pigs

Not much. We have a few leftovers - most of it gets eaten the next day

More than I'd like. I'm always throwing away veggies I haven't used

Vote Result

Related story: Southlanders waste food

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Daily diversions
Cartoons by Chicane, aka Mark Winter


Today's puzzles


Your Family News
Birth notices and anniversaries


View marriage and birth notices from around the region

Death notices

Death Notices

View obituaries from around the region