Chris Cairns found not guilty in perjury case ... Read more

Cyanide sparks cordon

Last updated 09:49 11/04/2014

Relevant offers

A 47-year-old man has been taken to hospital and a house in Central Otago cordoned off after concerns about cyanide.

A Fire Service Hazmat team was en route from Dunedin after an incident in Bannockburn this morning.

In a police statement, Central Otago sub-area commander Senior Sergeant Ian Kerrisk said the incident happened near Bannockburn at 6.15am.

Kerrisk said an area around the man's house in Bannockburn Cromwell Rd was cordoned off, and the man found by police about 8am.

The man was taken to Dunstan Hospital to be assessed and police, fire and St John amublance staff, who attended the scene, were decontaminated at the scene because of a risk related to the presence of cyanide.

Police said there was no risk to residents outside of the immediate address.

A police spokesperson confirmed this morning the incident was not related to a p-lab.

No further details were available. 


Ad Feedback

- The Southland Times


Stimes strap contact us
Contact us

Contact details for The Southland Times and community newspapers.

photographer, camera
Photo orders

Order copies of images taken by Southland Times photographers.

st strap Communites
Our E-Editions

Read our free publications online.

Win with the Times

Win with us!

Stl paper logo
Subscriber services

Click here for subscriber news and information.

Special offers
Opinion poll

How much food do you waste?

None - what we don't eat goes to the pigs

Not much. We have a few leftovers - most of it gets eaten the next day

More than I'd like. I'm always throwing away veggies I haven't used

Vote Result

Related story: Southlanders waste food

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Daily diversions
Cartoons by Chicane, aka Mark Winter


Today's puzzles


Your Family News
Birth notices and anniversaries


View marriage and birth notices from around the region

Death notices

Death Notices

View obituaries from around the region