SkyCity exec quit after court

NICK KRAUSE
Last updated 14:22 08/05/2012

Relevant offers

National business

Midwives drop bombshell with court action over pay discrimination Kiwis overwhelmingly call for compulsory financial literacy in schools Bright future in Auckland hard to see, says student president Paul Smith How to pay off your mortgage in 10 years Firms lose $150 million from workplace sick days The cost of the middle age make-over Failed property developer puts a ring on it Shopkeepers lament creative change Financial product: Interest-only mortgages Petal power drives the Flower Project

Casino and hotel operator SkyCity has confirmed its departing chief operating officer Stuart Wing was before the courts on a drink driving charge.

The company announced Wing's sudden departure yesterday, saying only that he and his family had decided to return to Australia for personal reasons.

He was due to take leave in May so it was agreed his resignation would take effect immediately, the company said.

RadioLive has reported today that Wing appeared in the Manukau District Court last week after refusing to give a blood sample to police.

SkyCity said in a statement this afternoon that it was not prepared to discuss any individual employee's specific circumstances, as this would be a breach of trust and confidentiality.

''That said, given the drink driving charge is a matter of public record we confirm that we did advise our regulator,  the Department of Internal Affairs on Friday, the day Mr Wing appeared in Court.

''For the record the charge was for an incident that happened out of Auckland and in Mr Wing's personal time.''

The incident occurred after he was stopped for speeding near Taupo in March, RadioLive said.

Stuart Wing was head of operations and marketing for the SkyCity Auckland property. He did not hold any liquor or gaming licence for the property, which are held by SkyCity Limited, the company said.

The departure comes during tumultuous public debate about SkyCity's controversial talks with the government to build a $350 million national convention centre in Auckland in exchange for gambling concessions.

Ad Feedback

- BusinessDay.co.nz

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content